Ferret Wheel Station Repair Help

Marines42

So, one of my tracta assemblies is totally screwed and I have it disassembled to the point that I need to compress the suspension spring but have no idea how to do it safely with what I have. How have you guys done it? Any illustration would be helpful.:cry:

join the ferret heaven yahoo fourm group (it is primarly full of Americans and is rather biased towards their views on life) and contact Ian Wallace as he has done this but his narrative description is hard to follow and I did not keep his diagrams which were easier to follow

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-heaven/

Edited by john fox

How far have you stripped the wheel station down?

You don't use a spring compressor, not sure there's one that exists to do the job.

In one of the manuals there's a section on how to take apart the suspension and it tells you how to compress the spring in there.

I did it recently on a Mk1. You jack up the top suspension link, compressing the spring, until you can remove the two rubber bump stops underneath the top link. Once these are removed lower the top link again and the spring will be uncompressed. You can then go about taking apart the rest of the suspension.

If its anything like mine then the pins that hold all the links will be pretty solid. Remeber to remove the tapered bolts that hold the pins in place.

I assume its the inner tracta that is damaged if you're taking the spring off?

Hope this helps.

Chris

I've had exactly that failure. However to fix it you don't need to strip the suspension apart.

When i did it i got a new wheel station and fitted the new wheel hub to the old suspension. I doubt you'll be able to find a replacement part for sensible money.

To remove the wheel hub follow these steps and refer to the picture. You don't need to strip the hub down as i've done. That was a different problem.

1. remove brake cylinder from the back plate of the hub. There's just two bolts.

2. Undo the 6/8 (i can't remember how many) bolts around the flange that is between the two gaiters on the shaft. It's just out of the pictures, to the left.

3. Undo the castellated nut holding the steering arm to the hub and break the joint so that the arm is free from the hub. Obviously this only applies to a front wheel station.

4. Undo the bolt on the bottom of the bottom steering swivel. This bolt holds the pin that passes through the bottom suspension link and the steering swivel in place. It's tapered and once this is removed you can knock out the pin and the bottom suspension link will drop down from the hub. There should be a couple of o-rings and some spacer plates that drop out aswell.

5. The hub should just be hanging off the top suspension link now. There are eight socket head bolts holding the hub to the link. Make sure you support the hub from the bottom so it doesn't drop and undo these bolts. The caps come off and now the hub should be free.

To remove the damaged part, undo the bolts around the back of the hub that holds the gaiter on. It should then come free. The gaiter pulls off over the flange end if the large spherical bit is still attached.

Alternatively replace with a new wheel hub. To refit just reverse the steps above. The second picture shows you whats inside. Top right of the picture shows what the part should look like.

Hope this helps, if it turns out you do need help on how to strip the suspension then let me know.

Chris

Diagram for HMVF.JPG

Diagram for HMVF2.jpg

bloody marvellous help on here, there are some cracking people with knowledge that must be shared so it never gets forgotten...and so we can keep our vehicles going for more years than was ever intended....

bloody marvellous help on here, there are some cracking people with knowledge that must be shared so it never gets forgotten...and so we can keep our vehicles going for more years than was ever intended....
Yeah. But have you clocked his age. Hats off to him i say:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

ch5993, thanks to your diagram and photos I was able to complete my reassembly and my ferret is once again complete. I have a small problem with the brake dragging in the right front but once that is adjusted and I do some painting, she will be ready for the road. Thanks to all for help and advice.