T-16 that was for sale...

Rick W

A T-16 carrier came up for sale on milweb today, it went very quickly, by the time the bloke had got back to me it had sold. It didnt have any tracks. Surely the biggest problem for these is finding a good set of tracks? Its a biggish vehicle anyway and a major project for someone when it is half there. Does anyone supply tracks for these? Does anyone on here own one? Not the most practical of vehicles as you cant drive it on the road, so Im guessing you would have to be fairly dedicated.

Carriers are below the legal weight limit for using steel tracks on the road so their is no problem. Having said this as any new tracks would have to manufactured at great cost you would be very silly to drive any distance on a road.

Because they only saw limited use in NW Europe with the Canadians, T16's are a lot less desirable to collectors than universals. They therefore attract lower values which needs to be factored in to any purchase price.

Carriers are below the legal weight limit for using steel tracks on the road so their is no problem.

Can you post a link to the legislation that refers to a weight limit, I've heard it said but never seen it in print. I plan to eventually put the Sherman on to steel and of course when the Cromwell is done it might be relevant. Don't want to get caught out!

I've had a quick look on the net and can find legislation regarding speed limits and they are affected by whether or not the vehicle has suspension and resiliant material between the rims of the rollers and the road surface which steel tracked tanks do have but I can't find anything about weights or indeed types of track. Anyone?

You can drive any vehicle on the road with tracks so long as they are not edged and are smooth. there is also a point on the PSI that the vehicle exerts onto the road surface. I know my BARV can be driven on the road with the steel tracks as it falls just inside the limits. That said I would rather have the hushpuppy tracks for it makes for a quieter drive and aslo less chance of problems. I dont think either ARV or Gun tanks can as I think they are just to heavy, biut could bewrong. I did have a copy of the regs to check, but cant find them now. though as I found mine was okay did not look any further.