Whats the difference?

agripper

Trying to work out which are the best manuals to buy. I have seen 3 types of manuals. I know that the parts books is very usful , but unsure which other to get. I need to know which one would be the same as a workshop manual either the technical hand book or the user hand book. They both seem to carry bits on general maintainace but I need to know which I do need over which one may be of extra use. The cost is the big thing as the manuals I want if I buy all three would set me back around £200.00. :confused:

Trying to work out which are the best manuals to buy. I have seen 3 types of manuals. I know that the parts books is very usful , but unsure which other to get. I need to know which one would be the same as a workshop manual either the technical hand book or the user hand book. They both seem to carry bits on general maintainace but I need to know which I do need over which one may be of extra use. The cost is the big thing as the manuals I want if I buy all three would set me back around £200.00. :confused:

From what you say, the technical handbook sounds most like a workshop manual. Parts books usually contain exploded views of components and their part numbers but no instruction. User handbooks are generally issued to drivers and have information about the vehicles controls and everyday maintenance. As you say, they are all helpful and useful to own.

It's up to you, but, if I had the choice of only one, I would choose the technical manual if I had major mechanical work to do and the user handbook if the vehicle was fairly up together. The technical manual will tell you how to strip down the gearbox and the user manual will tell you what grade of oil should be used in the gearbox. Either way, I would aim to acquire the other two as soon as possible.

User manuals are usually the cheapest to buy because they are more plentiful, and smaller, publications. Are the manuals for your vehicle available on good CD's ? All three might be more affordable if they are and you don't mind that format. It's usually manual collectors, who only hoard this stuff, that keep prices so high.

I have a vickers centurion BARV and also a Alvis Sabre. I dont know of any manuals available on cd. I would rather have a cd copy so I only need to print off the page I need and also saves space. Do you know where to get any from?

I have a vickers centurion BARV and also a Alvis Sabre. I dont know of any manuals available on cd. I would rather have a cd copy so I only need to print off the page I need and also saves space. Do you know where to get any from?

You may be lucky and find the technical manual for CVR(T) on microfische, and as the Cent BARV carried on in service to recent years, that may also be on microfische. Best person to confirm this is Clive (FV1609)......I am sure he will respond to this thread.

are you sure of the nomenclature of the books you refer to?

be careful :stop:

- a technical description book is not the same as a workshop (repairs) manual

- the description book is exactly that , it describes the components and how they work , it does NOT give you an explanation of how to do it, that is given in the workshop manual

- the user handbook does not list the oils etc you will need. They are shown in an entirely separate book/list called the maintenance schedule

given the above, the recommendation is correct:

restored vehicle = user manual or

work to do = workshop manual

Because of the age of the Centurion, it is covered under Electrical & Mechanical Enginering Regulations (EMER)

EMER TRACKED VEHICLES Centurion, all marks (ie common features)

G110 Data Summary

G111 Operators Instructions

G112 Technical Description

G113 Unit Repairs

G114 Field & Base Repairs

G115 Preparation for special functions

G116 Preferred Repair Schedules

G117 Modification Instructions

G118 Inspection Standards

G119 Miscellaneous Instructions

Centurion, ARV was covered under EMER TRACKED VEHICLES G110/2-109/2. I am not aware that BARV had a special suffix but it doesn’t appear in any catalogues I have.

CVR(T) is covered under Army Equipment Support Publications (AESP)

Sabre AESPs start 2350-R-101

Sabre (Diesel) AESPs start 2350-R-111

This is followed by a final 3-digit group

Comprising 2-digits to define subject matter:

10 Purpose and planning information

20 Operating information

21 Special to arms

22 Training aids

30 Technical description

41 Installation instructions

51 Failure diagnosis

52 Repair instructions

53 Inspection standards

54 Calibration procedure

60 Maintenance schedule

71 Illustrated parts catalogue

81 Modification instructions

82 General instructions and index

The final digit of the 3-digit group specifies the level of information (eg 2350-R-101-711):

Level 1 User/operator

Level 2 Unit maintenance

Level 3 Field maintenance

Level 4 Base maintenance

I haver tyhe user handbook for the BARV and also the parts book for teh BARV but these coving only parts directly relating to the BARV. it will give information such as , ajuct track tension or fan belt or tappet cleance but does not tell you haw to achieve this. There is noting of any use as far as the engine goes. Which one of all the above publications would cover basic maintainance. I need what would equate to a Haynes manuals for the transmission and engine. If the techiniqual handbook just describes how it works which do I lookout for.

Mine was built as a mk 3 , which I find a little confusing as it was part of the first batch. Did the Mks 1 and 2 not make the production runs or are these alterations made durring production. On my manuals it desribes the BARV's as mk 5 spec with teh parts book to be read in conjunction with the Mk 5 gun tank parts book. the user hand book states it as either a mk 3or 5.

I just seem to be getting more confused the more I read.

WHEN WILL HAYNES GET ROUND TO DOING A MANUAL FOR MINE, ITS NOT AS THOUGH ITS NOT A COMMON VEHICLE. lmao!!!!

There is noting of any use as far as the engine goes.

That would be covered separately from the vehicle in EMER POWER series. What engine does it have & I'll look it up? Also the generator & starter motor would be covered in quite separate sections in EMER POWER.

EMER TRACKED VEHICLES

G100 etc covers items common to all models

G100/2 ARV, Mk 2

G100/3 Bulldozer, Mk 5

G100/4 AVRE, 165mm, Mk 5

G100/5 Bridgelayer, Mk 5

G100/6 ARK, Mk 5