m4 and sextons coming soon

blazerman

So what are Sextons doing in the USA?

Tim (too)

Imported by SECO from Portugal along with M5A1 Stuarts amongst other things. They are from the same source as all the Grizzlies, Sextons, Stuarts, M5 HSTs and Humber A/Cs that Ian McGregor imported into the UK in the mid 80s.

I have a web page with some pictures of the Sexton´s at SECO in 2000:

http://www.geocities.com/shermanregister/seco.htm

At that time Sherman Register Contributor Joe DeMarco found fifteen Sexton 25 pdr SP Guns in various conditions, which were the last of the batch of 47 SECO bought from the Portuguese government. At that time they were priced at US$9,800, as Adrian said this later dropped to US$5,000.

I know of one that went back to Canada, a couple to the UK and I think even one to Holland or Belgium.

- Hanno

Seco purchased 46 sextons from Portugal in 1983, about 38 or so were cut up for parts for mining and logging machines that used the wheels and tracks from the Sherman family of vehicles,

3 or 4 were bought by collectors over the years,

4 then remained, 3 were bought by us 2 years ago and ( after lots of hassle with paperwork and export licences etc ) are now on route to england and the last 1 is on its way to holland,

Regarding prices, 2 years ago a nice sherman was £ 70.000 now its more like £ 200.000

• 2 weeks later...

prices two years ago!! the way things are going up at the minute i dont think that the prices of two years ago can really be used as a guide im quite sure that the person quoting prices from two years ago wouldnt sell his sherman or anytrhing else at those prices if so i will have the sherman how much was petrol two years ago?

today i also saw the m4 hst how nice to see something good being brought in and for the amount of trouble that you probably had getting them in good luck and well done !

I have been involved with steam vehicles as well and have found teh same to be true of them. in the UK one in derelioct condition would fetch 2 or 3 times the price abroad. With the states they have a lot of stuff in open spaces and little inclination to resroe them or teh facilities to do so unlike the UK where you can find most services within a few miles of your home and no where near teh distances found in the US and canada not to mention Oz.