Ametech oil additive, engine restore in a can?

Hello all,

Has anyone come across or used this stuff before?

http://www.americantechnology.co.uk/customer-testimonials-4-w.asp?gclid=CMbT1JSG0pkCFQw9GgodAWiPuA

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Try-AMETECH-RESTORER-OIL-in-AUDI-A2-A3-A4-A5-A6-Engines_W0QQitemZ380095864639QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090110?IMSfp=TL0901101110002r8107

Hmmm, so there's small metal particals that reline the engine. It all sounds good but what does the brains of the forum think?

I'm temped to try a can in the bedford, the engines tired and this might give it a few more miles.

hmmmmmmm....

the only proven solution (albeit temporary) for a tired engine is the good old FIAT HPX, a denser oil that holds a bit more than the usual one.

Other things claiming to "add metal" to the engine are just variants of snake oil.

Just My Humble Opinion

Andrea

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I cant remember if its this one or another that i came across and was going to post.

I read all the testomonials even phoned them ,they were very convincing,i then smacked my self round the back of the head and rejoined the real world.:-D

Thats exactly how i see it cw. reading all the testimonials and if you google it there's plenty of comment. I can't seem to find anything proven that it doesn't work.

i did read somewhere that it hasn't been on the british market very long, but it america it has, maybe some of our american friends might know it.

Edited by rippo

I have seen an addative made specifically for Cummins engines, which is supposed to stop them burning oil. I have a feeling that it is marketed by Cummins themselves. Maybe these addatives work, but I would be reluctant to spend a large sum of money to find out. I seem also to think you wouldn't see much change from a hundred quid for this magic elixir.

Eeeee......... when I were a lad.......... there was this magic substance called STP oil treatment. Even if this was a bit dubious, there was certainly a lot of it sold, and for a good many years. Used to get stickers with it too....

.......... me dad used to give them to me.

STP and Wynns were both popular oil addatives, claiming reduced oil consumption and lower friction in engines etc.

While we are reminiscing........... anyone remember the Mangoletsi ? Manifold Modifyer...........:-D Dad bought one for his MO series Morris Oxford................. clever little thing. It had a flange to fit it between the carburettor and inlet manifold. There was a groove in the flange to allow air to circulate round a second venturi and was supposed to improve airflow to the engine, improve atomization and reduce fuel consumption.

Spose it would really...........air leak in the manifold.........weaker mixture.

Sorry......nuffin to do with the subject, just an old git with a head full of irrelevant crap. They were sold in the days when the Exchange and Mart was dripping with military vehicles on sale from L.W. Vass. If only we could travel back in time ......... :)

These STPs etc never had metal filling agents like the new ones,

If you were into bikes how about the Wal Phillips Fuel injector.:cool2:

Showing your age now Catweazle :-D....................have to admit, I remember them, although never used one.

Talking about all these magic potions for knackered engines.......do you remember Holts Piston Seal? All it was was a gunge that got around the piston rings to take up a bit of clearance. Tried it on a Tiger Cub, very quickly realised a rebore was best option.

These STPs etc never had metal filling agents like the new ones,

Cor yeah............. I'd forgotten about them. No way it could have worked..

I don't think it had a float chamber........... wonder if they sold any of them, and whether they worked. Used to see them advertised everywhere. :-D

i could never get mine to work,he was a great bloke and superb Rider,

He came from Brooklands finding speedway a bit boring,untill he met Gus Khan at stamford bridge,they had an epic battle to a crowd of 30.000

he fell of twice but still came 2nd.Born in 1908 lived till he was 90.

Born in Tottenham ,i thought he was a yank.

Walter Hartley Phillips,another one of those characters sadly we dont have today.

Cheers Walt for some great entertainment,not sure about that blooming injector though:-D

GKOutFront-350.jpg

Gus Khan out in front,just.

WalPhillips.jpg

Wal at his best.

WPinject.jpg

i could never get mine to work,he was a great bloke and superb Rider,

He came from Brooklands finding speedway a bit boring,untill he met Gus Khan at stamford bridge,

Those were the days...........when men were men ............and a JAP was a British engine :-(

Was that Gus Kuhn who was a Norton dealer? ( I remember the Gus Kuhn Commando that used to race).

Some of those dealers were legendary.........

Harold Daniell at Forest Hill (Norton) was another one

I used to go to E. & S. Motors at Tooting for Royal (Oilfield?) Enfield parts. :) (Continental and Crusader Sports)

Another name that springs to mind was Comerfords at Thames Ditton, I think they did cars and bikes though. Must have a look through my old sixties Motor Cycle and MCM magazines. I love the old ads where you could buy a new Mini for about three hundred and twenty five quid, including purchase tax. (Antique VAT):-D

Edited by Swill1952xs
additional information.

Hmmm, so there's small metal particals that reline the engine. It all sounds good but what does the brains of the forum think?

I'm temped to try a can in the bedford, the engines tired and this might give it a few more miles.

Aren't small metal particles what the oil filter is supposed to remove amongst other things?

Don't think I'd want them washing round my engine.

A few friends used to swear by slick 50, friction reducers. I never tried it as I'd read somewhere that due to the particle size it was quickly collected by the oil filter.