Sad Sight in Devon.

6 X 6

When I first saw this lorry, some eight or so years ago, it was fairly up together and had it's crane mounted on the back. It looked really sweet. The crane is no longer there, possibly, hopefully, being restored elsewhere. The overall condition has worsened after having been standing in the open for so long. It's in a yard on a trading estate in Devon. There can't be many of this type of lorry that have survived. I wonder what it's fate will be.

By the way, your correspondent had to wrestle with half a dozen ferocious guard dogs to take these photographs. I just thought I'd let you know. :box:

DSCF0952.jpg

DSCF0953.jpg

DSCF0954.jpg

DSCF0955.jpg

DSCF0956.jpg

DSCF0959.jpg

DSCF0957.jpg

DSCF0962.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

When I first saw this lorry, some eight or so years ago, it was fairly up together and had it's crane mounted on the back.

A Coles crane? Sad to see it in this state. Retrievers are rare and well worth being saved.

By the way, your correspondent had to wrestle with half a dozen ferocious guard dogs to take these photographs. I just thought I'd let you know. :box:

I will nominate you for the HMVF Selfless Spotter´s Award during the next meeting at the club house!

- Hanno

A Coles crane? Sad to see it in this state. Retrievers are rare and well worth being saved.

Hanno, this is the nearest I've got. A Crossley with a Coles MkV1, 2 ton crane. I think the Leyland would have had a very similar crane. It certainly is the same scale of vehicle as the Retriever. Someone may have a photograph showing a Leyland Retriever with a crane mounted on the back.

sc0044f4db.jpg

Incidentally, there is one advertised on MilWeb:

Leyland Retriever ex WD 6x4

Ex Aussie museum. Rebuilt rediator. Rare history. A Retriever Coles crane is included for spares. Buyer to collect. Norfolk.

01508 518236

16 March '09

• 12 years later...