58 Pattern Sleeping System

gung

Question

Hej!

Cane someone provide proper infos or a manual about the

58 Pattern Sleeping System?

i know the

Sleeping Bag - Down Filled with attached Hood and waterproof bottom available in 3 ? different sizes

Sleeping Bag - Arctic, pretty the same but w/o waterproof bottom and more downs in it

Cover Arctic - Oliv/Green Nylon, Waterproof not breatheable

Liner - Green synthetic stuff clips into the sleeping bags

Poncho - Nylon Oliv/Green, with Hood and the extra Pushbutton line, to clip it on the footend of the sleeping bags

Fieldbed - This lightwheight canvas thing with the 4 spreaders. but this may not really belong to the sleeping system

What have u slept on?

Was there an Iso Matress or have u slept direct on the ground?

What extra parts exist? stuff bags, air beds????

Tell me please!

bastian

heh, I can imagine the after-action de-briefing in the mess after the exercise...

"Things were a tad tense there, I kid you not, lads. I lost four stone in two seconds type tense, know what I mean? Whose shout is it now?"

Hi - remember many a snowy training night in the UK and Germany using this system. More often than not, when in the field, closed the nylon poncho as a sort of tube and slid myself and the sleeping bag inside. It worked, and was quick. Used whatever was available beneath me (grass / bushes). Many guys purchased their own civvi camping accessories initially.

Cheers,

Steve 82

Hi there,

A bit late to the party, but the was one other thing that came as part of the system. There were two choices of liner: The standard synthetic clip-in type, and the rarer 'K.F' wool/cotton thermal liner (which tied-in instead of press studs).

Still have my extra long maggot which is still better than the bouncing bomb one I was issued in later career. All we were ever issued were the maggot and a bed roll, I can remember being offered a camp bed for static exercises but they were bloody useless as were the liners. The only time we used the camp beds and liners was in summer in BATUS when it was too warm for the maggot but just chilly enough for the liner to be useful. FRG hut on the prairie was a nightmare when all of us had camp beds down, not that we ever really got enough time to use them.

On Excercise out of Iserlohn back in 1983 and driving my MK all over the place.

I double skinned the back and lowered it as was usual then dug out 4 Charlie G carry straps and rigged a stretcher up in the roof, the Sleeping bag stayed put for the week.

Very comfortable.

Edited by ploughman