58 Pattern Sleeping System

gung

Question

Hej!

Cane someone provide proper infos or a manual about the

58 Pattern Sleeping System?

i know the

Sleeping Bag - Down Filled with attached Hood and waterproof bottom available in 3 ? different sizes

Sleeping Bag - Arctic, pretty the same but w/o waterproof bottom and more downs in it

Cover Arctic - Oliv/Green Nylon, Waterproof not breatheable

Liner - Green synthetic stuff clips into the sleeping bags

Poncho - Nylon Oliv/Green, with Hood and the extra Pushbutton line, to clip it on the footend of the sleeping bags

Fieldbed - This lightwheight canvas thing with the 4 spreaders. but this may not really belong to the sleeping system

What have u slept on?

Was there an Iso Matress or have u slept direct on the ground?

What extra parts exist? stuff bags, air beds????

Tell me please!

bastian

Hej!

Cane someone provide proper infos or a manual about the

58 Pattern Sleeping System?

i know the

Sleeping Bag - Down Filled with attached Hood and waterproof bottom available in 3 ? different sizes

Sleeping Bag - Arctic, pretty the same but w/o waterproof bottom and more downs in it

Cover Arctic - Oliv/Green Nylon, Waterproof not breatheable

Liner - Green synthetic stuff clips into the sleeping bags

Poncho - Nylon Oliv/Green, with Hood and the extra Pushbutton line, to clip it on the footend of the sleeping bags

Fieldbed - This lightwheight canvas thing with the 4 spreaders. but this may not really belong to the sleeping system

What have u slept on?

Was there an Iso Matress or have u slept direct on the ground?

What extra parts exist? stuff bags, air beds????

Tell me please!

bastian

You have pretty much covered it really. Air beds wernt issued in those days. The 'Lightweight canvas thing' is a camp bed. Plenty about.

iso mattress also never existed in those days.

The liners were absolutely useless! Every time you turned over, you tied yourself up in them!

You only used them once!!

The idea was top keep the bags clean & send the liners for dry cleaning. In practice, no one used the liners much.

The basic issue was just a 'Doss Bag'. The poncho was a personal issue to everyone. You always tried to get a LONG sleeping bag, but they were hard to source. Dont know why?

A standard one for the everage guy was still JUST a little short! :(

Hope that helps you. :???

Mike. :yay:

Squaddies only ever got a sleeping bag. If you were 6'+, you'd hope to get a long sleeping bag but this was not a given. We didn't bother with a liner because all it did was twist and entangle your feet while you were dog-tired and trying to get your head down or while you were trying to stand-to in a hurry.

I did once have an officer vehicle commander who absolutely insisted on taking the camp bed, a nasty cover for the whole thing and everything. We sharp trained him to go without.

We were issued a thin, foam sheet from about 1983 which rolled up and gave a degree of protection from stones under the sleeping bag, but I never tended to use it. I tell a lie. By this time I was attached 12 Armoured Workshop REME. When we got crashed out (Ex Active Edge: to get everything out of camp in four hours, but always used by the OC to start an exercise to get everyone in camp early), we'd all pile into camp and those with vehicles would prepare them to drive out. Those of us who didn't have vehicles would just hang about in the office until we were told to load our kit on board.

This would typically give me two spare hours I could use to top up the Zs (it would be between 0200 and 0600) and I'd roll out the mat and use it and the sleeping bag to soften the hard office floor while others felt the need to do office work. I let them step over me. The table also worked as a bed, which meant that people didn't have to step over me.

If you are going to sleep on the ground, I recommend pine forest. The needles make a good mattress, the ground tends to be dry but not stony and the air smells pine fresh.

That said, as often as we slept in pine forests, we also slept in farmyards. I married in August and it wasn't too long after our return before we were ramping up to the annual FTX. The squadron went out for a short, sharp two-day exercise, which saw our troop in an OP in a cow field. My wife was overjoyed at my safe return as I unlocked the front door and stepped in, but for every step she took toward me to embrace me, she recoiled two steps in horror at the smell. I had a good hard post-exercise bath: half a box of Radox in a hot bath, soak for an hour, drain, rinse the bath and repeat with the rest of the box (the instructions said about a dessertspoonful). I was fit to embrace after that.

Sheep have an altogether different smell. I called in on my mother after an exercise at Otterburn in 1977: she smelt me the moment she opened the door (I had got home before her).

But I have to say that whereas pig sheds are by far the warmest in a German winter, the acid stench is only tolerable because of the warmth.

We often slept in hay barns. We were always told not to sleep on the hay because it was rat-infested. I must have scared the rats.

Back of a landie, on all the bergans, in me green worm, trundling over all manner of tracks and roads on ex Log Leap back in '93 or so. Slept like a log, woke up minty fresh (well, fresh as something, anyhow ;)) best kip I've had in me life :D

Edited by Redcap

Digging back through both memories and the accumulated kit upstairs made me recall we never used the issued liners. Either we didn't bother or sweet talked the QM at No 1 Parachute School to part with a couple of gores from a damaged chute. These would then be sewn up along the edges resulting in a triangular bag. This was packed in the belt kit so if the main bergen had to be dumped for a hurried exit you still had a means of keeping warm!!

Digging back through both memories and the accumulated kit upstairs made me recall we never used the issued liners. Either we didn't bother or sweet talked the QM at No 1 Parachute School to part with a couple of gores from a damaged chute. These would then be sewn up along the edges resulting in a triangular bag. This was packed in the belt kit so if the main bergen had to be dumped for a hurried exit you still had a means of keeping warm!!

Neil, What!, you mean you didnt have any tights on!!!!.................:-D

AH THIS BRINGS BACK SUCH SWEET MEMORIES.........

Back in the days (1970's & 1980's) when you could go in the back of a Landie or an MK for miles on end (we used to do Farnham to Sennybridge on a regular basis 6/7 Queens (v))

All the new lads would be sitting on the benches talking and smoking as we (the section commanders and 2ic's were spark out in the worms under the benches)....

Not like now.... more than 20 mins and it has to be done in a coach !!!!!

They dont know theyr'e born...............................

Ian

Zedding in the back of a CP Rover one exercise I heard a sharp double 'bang', followed by a whining noise which sounded like one of our Scout engines winding down. I couldn't have been that asleep as I could remember that we'd got rid of Scouts some years earlier, and that the last time I'd heard a double bang like that it was at an airshow when some fast-jet chappy had ejected from his aircraft.

As the whining noise got closer I decided that I might not be best placed should my worst fears be realised, so struggled to escape, only to find that the zip on my 58 maggot jammed, about 6 inches below my nose.

Have you ever tried hopping away from a gliding, pilotless F16 in a maggot?

I suppose I've had it easy most of the time i was on a stretcher(in a sleeping bag in the back of a ambi or in a med center the joys of being a medic.

I must admit though the 1 ton ambi is more comfy than the 127 or even the old series three that we had in Bosnia.

Jamie

The Dutch sleepingbags had a emergency zipper.

When fully closed only a jerk to close it further would make the zipper pull loose opening it.

Good fun during a excercise when closing it to fast causing the bag to open...

Neil, What!, you mean you didnt have any tights on!!!!.................:-D

What was wrong with the issue long johns like? Apart from the aesthetics of the draggy arrse obviously. I got a pair of Damart long johns, but the magic plastic weave tended to shrink in the hot wash needed to get them cleanish after three weeks' killing commies.

AH THIS BRINGS BACK SUCH SWEET MEMORIES.........

Back in the days (1970's & 1980's) when you could go in the back of a Landie or an MK for miles on end (we used to do Farnham to Sennybridge on a regular basis 6/7 Queens (v))

All the new lads would be sitting on the benches talking and smoking as we (the section commanders and 2ic's were spark out in the worms under the benches)....

Not like now.... more than 20 mins and it has to be done in a coach !!!!!

They dont know theyr'e born...............................

Ian

You aren't joking are you? I can tell you are being deadly serious.

Zedding in the back of a CP Rover one exercise I heard a sharp double 'bang', followed by a whining noise which sounded like one of our Scout engines winding down. I couldn't have been that asleep as I could remember that we'd got rid of Scouts some years earlier, and that the last time I'd heard a double bang like that it was at an airshow when some fast-jet chappy had ejected from his aircraft.

As the whining noise got closer I decided that I might not be best placed should my worst fears be realised, so struggled to escape, only to find that the zip on my 58 maggot jammed, about 6 inches below my nose.

Have you ever tried hopping away from a gliding, pilotless F16 in a maggot?

You weren't in the village of Forst in the mid-80s by any chance? I have vivid memories of an exercise there in 1981 and thought it was a lovely place. Then a few years later I heard that an F16 had piled in to a village called Forst and couldn't help but remember.

You weren't in the village of Forst in the mid-80s by any chance? I have vivid memories of an exercise there in 1981 and thought it was a lovely place. Then a few years later I heard that an F16 had piled in to a village called Forst and couldn't help but remember.

Sorry, no. This was on SLTA, 21-Mar-83. The RNLAF F16 had swallowed a Stork, while carrying out a simulated airstrike on some panzers. One of my colleagues was controlling the mission from his Gazelle, saw the ejection and followed the flightpath expecting to see major destruction.

As it happened, the aircraft came down on our HLS, missing my CP by 50 yards, and coming to rest neatly between a Gazelle and two bowsers full of Avtur.:sweat:

My colleague picked up the driver, who, understandably, was in something of an 'excited' state.

Edited by Yorkie370