Let me introduce myself...

Hello to everyone involved in the HMVF!

My name is Declan, I live in Kildare, Ireland, and following a meeting with forum member gritineye last year at the War and Peace show, when he let me look over his Scammell ( a favourite vehicle of mine since I built the Airfix model in about 1976...) I finally managed to join up. I'm interested in most mechanical things, and have had permanently oily fingers for a long time now! My own military vehicle is more unusual than it sounds (try looking for parts) , an ex-Irish Army Nissan Patrol 260 series RD28, which is displayed as a UN vehicle as used by Irish peacekeeping forces in Somalia, Liberia, Lebanon etc. However, I've recently begun to drive a friend's Dodge WC62 with a view to showing it for him cos he's got too many vehicles, and I'm developing a taste for the older vehicles now myself, so I'll watch the forums and see how everyone gets along with theirs!

Looking forward to meeting up with some of you over the show season,

Regards,

Declan

:coffee:

Hi Declan, good to see you made it at last.

Sorry Tony, I think maybe the Dodge is just a passing phase as Declan is already hooked, and too modest to admit he has driven a Scammell, and managed to do so without grinning like a muppet.

DSC00025.jpg

he has driven a Scammell, and managed to do so without grinning like a muppet.

Welcome to the forum Declan and congratulations for driving the Scammell without grinning like a muppet.

:-D (unlike some people we know) :-D

Hi Declan, as others have already said, welcome to the friendly forum;.........After driving a BRITISH truck, how can you possibly think of owning anything else..........:):)

Gotta be Scammell or Bedford. :-D

All the best, hope to meet if you get to w&p this year.

Andy

Well thank you all for your welcomes - and to be honest, I was fully under the impression that I had indeeed been grinning like a muppet! :-D Yes, the Dodge is being worked on to ensure maximum reliability, whatever that may mean for a 66 year old truck, but so far, so good. Otherwise, having "fun" trying to work out wiring issues on a much-neglected left hand drive ex-Saudi Army Ser 111 Lightweight now owned by a friend. Seems to have been involved in the the first Gulf war, and it's definately been around, but now it doesn't want to charge batteries without some creative electrical work. It's quite scruffy overall, so trying to tidy it without losing the patina (ie, desert dust in behind the instruments!) is a challenge. I think an enthusiastic strip and rebuild would lose a lot of the unusual character of the vehicle.

Ah well, at least my own 14-years-young Nissan runs fine!

All the best!

Welcome to the forum Declan and congratulations for driving the Scammell without grinning like a muppet.

:-D (unlike some people we know) :-D

I'm deeply upset ! Not only am I a Twatt but now a Muppet too ! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Good job Daisy still loves me ! :-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Twuppet,:rofl:will know by the end of the week how you broke my boat,:shocked:Fowlers fowled me props.

Driving gritineye's Scammell was excellent indeed, but there's none of em around here, and the Dodge is a challenge to drive around the twisty country lanes where I live so it's fun too! And - I can reach the engine without a stepladder...:-D

• 3 weeks later...