Landrover electrics

Mark

Hi All

On my lightweight I have no readings on the fuel oil or water guages, is there a central "supply" as in power to these units or are they all separate, it seems weird that all three do not work.

Any ideas please.

Ok here goes tell me if I am wrong

I have 24v to all 3 guages, I removed the cable on the other terminal and put each guage to earth to see if they moved which they did not, I am assuming that all 3 guage's are knackered i.e. the whole unit.

Right or Wrong :???

Mark when you say you have 24v at the terminals, where are you measuring the -ve from? Use that earth point to stimulate the earthy end of the meter & see if they kick.

I suspect you may be picking up what should be an earth point on the instrument cluster which is not functioning. The earthing arrangements for the instrument cluster are pathetic & the earth lead is held onto an instrument cluster clamp with an alloy hand turned nut.

It would be extraordinary for all 3 meters to die simultaneously, so looks very much an earthing issue. Particularly as the metals involved are dissimilar & the nut can only be finger tight. Tightening the nut with pliers just bends the retaining clamps.

As a further check with an ohmmeter, the meters should be very very roughly 100 ohms.

Edited by fv1609

Mark when you say you have 24v at the terminals, where are you measuring the -ve from? Use that earth point to stimulate the earthy end of the meter & see if they kick.

I suspect you may be picking up what should be an earth point on the instrument cluster which is not functioning. The earthing arrangements for the instrument cluster are pathetic & the earth lead is held onto an instrument cluster clamp with an alloy hand turned nut.

It would be extraordinary for all 3 meters to die simultaneously, so looks very much an earthing issue. Particularly as the metals involved are dissimilar & the nut can only be finger tight. Tightening the nut with pliers just bends the retaining clamps.

As a further check with an ohmmeter, the meters should be very very roughly 100 ohms.

Correct Clive I will have a look thank you