Jeep Clutch Endurance

Jessie The Jeep

Question

I've just had a new 8.5 inch clutch fitted to my Jeep. When I bought the Jeep four years and 7500 miles ago, there wasn't a huge amount of adjustment left, so it has done well. It hadn't got to the point of slipping yet, but it wouldn't have been long.

When I bought the Jeep, the engine had a 1987 French rebuild plate on it and the gearbox a 1969 plate, but I have no idea whether the clutch was replaced during either of those times.

I know how long it will last will depend how it is used, but I'm guessing it will be good for several years now. With normal road use and towing a Jeep trailer every so often, how long would you expect it to last?

Steve

6 answers to this question

I would imagine the clutch was replaced during one if not both of those rebuilds.

As to how long it will last.

Is the clutch old stock asbestos or modern non asbestos friction material?

What condition were the faces of flywheel and pressure plate in?

How heavy will the trailer be loaded?

Do you live in a hilly or flat area?

What's your driving like?

Far too many variables to make a judgement. The biggest of which is driving style. Some people seem to wear out clutches far quicker than others.

I'm collecting the Jeep later today, so won't find out about the clutch type and plate face until later.

Trailer a couple of hundred pounds, but I don't use it every time out. Much of the driving with the trailer is longer distances where I'm cruising and not needing to change gear much.

Not too many hills around here.

Driving is superb of course! I'd guess making the existing one last another 7500 miles when there wasn't much adjustment left means I'm fairly gentle with it.

OK, what's the quickest time you've heard of someone wearing out a new clutch? I've never had to replace a clutch on any of the 'normal' cars I've had.

OK, what's the quickest time you've heard of someone wearing out a new clutch?

My dear old dad wore the clutch out on his Bedford van in 2,000 miles from new, the second one didn't last much longer either, slipping the clutch is much easier than changing down isn't it? And why put it in neutral at junctions and lights? Where else can you rest your foot?

What a difference a clutch makes!

Before the change, the pedal was almost fully up before the clutch was engaged, and the pedal was so soft. Now my foot is barely off the floor and it's engaged and I need to develop some new muscles in my left leg.

The guys at Croft said it's the best driving Jeep they've worked on. :iloveyou: