Hi

Hi,

Looks a good site :D . I currently own an Armstrong which I'm about to start restoring after using it daily for a few years. Reading some of the posts on the newer kit brought back a few memories from when I worked on it so maybe I can share a bit of knowledge with you and make a few contacts.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum! I've never had an Armstrong but have looked into getting a Can-Am,of the two which would you rate the best?

Matt.

Dare I ask about the biscuits? :)

Re: the Armstrong vs the Can-Am, I was in service during the change so saw both but being a tank mech wasn't allowed near either. Apparently some people believed the rumour that our tools boxes consisted of "big hammer" and "bigger hammer".

My mucker was a DR on the Can-Am and he seemed happy enough, though I don't think it was up to much off road. Other than that I couldn't give you an honest evaluation of the bike.

I've had my Armstrong @ 4 years now and done @ 95,000 Km, riding it 12 months per year in all weathers. You may hear various rumours about them, mainly focussing on their poor starting ability and even poorer Amal Carbs (a lot of people switch to Mikuni's claimimg better start and fuel consumption). Personally, mine had the Amal fitted, Started 1st or 2nd kick whilst standing astride the bike (left hand kick start), would happily tick over and returned @ 55mpg.

Maybe I was just lucky, but then I bought my bike before I heard all the rumours. I was also once told that it was impossible to tow start an FV432, fortuneately that was something else I did before I heard the rumour! :wink:

I had a real blast on my Armstrong. It's a relatively modern 500cc 4 stroke single and everything that goes with that (4 valves make it breath quite nicely). The Can-Am is a 40(?) year old 250cc 2-stroke and I guess everything that goes with that. It really depends what you are looking for, The Armstrongs great, but i wouldn't refuse the offer of a Can-AM.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that,the Armstrong does sound like the better of the two. I must admit I like the look of the Harley's that are being cast at the moment but they are going for £2000+.

I'll probably end up with some crappy old Honda or Suzuki like I had before :evil:

Matt.