Hastings Area

woa2

I have now returned from my Holiday to Hastings, and I would like to say a big 'Thank You' to all who gave advice. It improved our Holiday immensely.

We went to Rye and I went up the Church tower - a fantastic view from there. I also found 'Simon the Pieman', but no Lemon Merangue, so I had a Cornish Pasty and Bakewell Tart.

We went to Winchelsea and found Spike Milligan's grave. The Church there is very peaceful, and they leave it open all day with just a notice asking you to close the door as therwise it lets in Pidgeons. Also in the cemetry is the grave to an RAF Sgt killed in 1943, aged 53. Surely too old?

We went to Hastings Old Town and found Mr Foyle's house and saw other Foyle's War locations. Hastings Tourist Office do a very good book about 'Foyles War' and well worth getting.

We also went to Battle and walked around the Battle of Hastings site. I can well recommend this as it explained the battle and the commentry from the hand-held devices was very helpful.

A question about Rye - On the Gun Garden, there are some old cannons (which look reproduction but very good) and also there are 2 mountings either end. What are these 2 mountings for? Anyone local help with an answer?

Again, my thanks for the advice from you all, and another good reason why this Forum is such a good and useful place.

Another place worth a visit. Nearby at Ashford is the factory that made all the submarine batteries for the Royal Navy. The whole area is dotted with lead mines.

Have we deviated from the subject here ? :nono: Ashford may be near to Hastings, but there are no lead mines nor submarine battery factories around there.

I think you are getting confused with Ashford in Derbyshire :-D

Whether it was a Bakewell Tart or a Bakewell pudding, it was delicious.

No one has mentioned the Cornish Pasty yet. It was made in Sussex....

Anyway, thanks again for the holiday advice. I didn't get to Bodium Castle or the Morgan car museum, so another holiday is planned sometime in the future.

Glad you liked Rye. Great view from the church and it has some excellent plaques inside, one for a naval officer who was killed on a submarine in 1913 and one for the choristers who died in WW1. Deeply moving.

The cannons were put there around the time of a more recent royal jubilee (can't remember) and I think they replaced older ones which have been stored. The mounts on either end I think are for old penny telescopes my kids used to like. I think you'll find the RAF sergeant at Winchelsea would have been a recalled reservist and as he is buried in his home village, I would suspect he was not aircrew - maybe a medical or accident case. His CWGC record gives little away. There is an unknown Marine buried next to him.

I have now returned from my Holiday to Hastings, and I would like to say a big 'Thank You' to all who gave advice. It improved our Holiday immensely.

We went to Rye and I went up the Church tower - a fantastic view from there. I also found 'Simon the Pieman', but no Lemon Merangue, so I had a Cornish Pasty and Bakewell Tart.

We went to Winchelsea and found Spike Milligan's grave. The Church there is very peaceful, and they leave it open all day with just a notice asking you to close the door as therwise it lets in Pidgeons. Also in the cemetry is the grave to an RAF Sgt killed in 1943, aged 53. Surely too old?

We went to Hastings Old Town and found Mr Foyle's house and saw other Foyle's War locations. Hastings Tourist Office do a very good book about 'Foyles War' and well worth getting.

We also went to Battle and walked around the Battle of Hastings site. I can well recommend this as it explained the battle and the commentry from the hand-held devices was very helpful.

A question about Rye - On the Gun Garden, there are some old cannons (which look reproduction but very good) and also there are 2 mountings either end. What are these 2 mountings for? Anyone local help with an answer?

Again, my thanks for the advice from you all, and another good reason why this Forum is such a good and useful place.