For Champ Fans

Marmite!!

Just one minor error (apart from the grammar), the first production Champ for the British Army contract was built on 1st September 1951.

Interestingly, the pictures show that they were happily fitting wheels without regard to getting the tyre treads the correct way round.

• 3 weeks later...
Just one minor error (apart from the grammar), the first production Champ for the British Army contract was built on 1st September 1951.

Interestingly, the pictures show that they were happily fitting wheels without regard to getting the tyre treads the correct way round.

You might be interested in this post on the direction of tyres.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=9429

woodman6.jpg

got this today from the guy my wife gets her turning wood from.

He scanned his pic and I have had to scan his scan, not very satisfactory but...

Still nice to see an original pic. I speak to many people who wouldn't touch a Champ with the very longest of barge poles, but I like them aesthetically. Being shallow I'd be happy with a decent version of the Dinky toy.

My dad would have given you chapter and verse on the merits of the Champ over the Landrover. I suspect he was biased in this having had Champs in 10 Para but his order of preference was:

1. The Champ
  2. The Landrover (S1 for him)
  3. The Jeep

For some reason he was not overly fond of jeeps despite having had to drive them in 6th Airborne during WW2 and 3rd Batt'n Para's in Palestine