Go on then, nice easy guess job!

No Signals

Some of you are just too well educated! :)

Yes it is indeed the Turbinia, the brainchild of Charles Parsons and scourge of the navy at the Spithead review in 1897. I must confess that until I came across it I thought it had been scrapped years ago. So pleased to see it intact, if not afloat.

miscold 303.jpg

miscold 312.jpg

What was the thinking about using multiple small propellors and not fewer larger ones ? example using three instead of 9, was this do to rpm of the shafts and vibration? .And why have the stern most shaft so long would seem it would fowl the rudder ?

What was the thinking about using multiple small propellors and not fewer larger ones ? example using three instead of 9, was this do to rpm of the shafts and vibration? .And why have the stern most shaft so long would seem it would fowl the rudder ?

I really am no expert on this and if you do a Google search I'm sure you will find some articles on the Turbinia that explain it much more accurately than I can. It is something to do with the speed at which the turbine is capable of spinning and if the props go too fast then they waste a lot of their energy making bubbles rather than pushing the craft forward. I think the multiple smaller props were a method of reducing this problem. But I accept I could be completely wrong on that. You need to understand that this was the worlds first successful steam turbine vessel and for a lot of things there was 'no book' at the time. It was all pioneering work and tackling lots of different elements all at the same time. All said Mr Parsons did it quite well! I dont know about whether the long central shaft would interfere with the rudder. From the way it ran rings around everything that was sent out to chase it at Spithead I reckon it wasnt an immediate problem.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Some of you are just too well educated! :)

Yes it is indeed the Turbinia, the brainchild of Charles Parsons and scourge of the navy at the Spithead review in 1897. I must confess that until I came across it I thought it had been scrapped years ago. So pleased to see it intact, if not afloat.

I didnt know it had survived,would be nice to see in the water,boats dont fare well in musuems,cutting edge for its time,really peed of the navy as you say.I expect the prop blade area calculated would of been to huge,so this was the answer,we use Duo props today.

PS Black smoke :cool2:

It is something to do with the speed at which the turbine is capable of spinning and if the props go too fast then they waste a lot of their energy making bubbles rather than pushing the craft forward.

Cavitation. Also makes a racket on sonar and draws anti-submarine craft to submarines like flies to a cowpat.

Designed by Charles Parsons in 1894, TURBINIA was an experimental craft intended to demonstrate the potential of the successful steam turbines already being produced by his company to drive generators for ship propulsion. TURBINIA had a long narrow hull form (100ft x 9ft) and, powered by a single 1000hp steam turbine, was expected to achieve 30 knots or more. TURBINIA was launched on 2 August 1894 and her trials started on 14 November 1894. Initial results were very disappointing as she could only reach 19.75 knots. The problem was traced to the propeller which was not capable of performing efficiently at 2000 rpm. Two years intensive work followed, during which the effects of cavitation on high speed propellers were discovered and eventually overcome.

Rebuilt and now fitted with three steam turbines, each one driving a shaft fitted with three propellers, TURBINIA achieved 29.6 knots in December 1896 and further improvements gave 32.76 knots in April 1897. She was then the fastest vessel in the world.

On 11 January 1907, TURBINIA was badly damaged when she was hit by a ship being launched from the other bank of the Tyne. She was repaired and her last powered run was made on the Tyne later in 1907 when it was hoped she could accompany the MAURITANIA on her maiden voyage down river, unfortunately a mechanical fault stopped her completing the trip.

Taken out of the water and placed on a cradle she slowly deteriorated. In 1926 TURBINIA was offered to the Science Museum but, due to lack of space, the museum could only accept the stern section containing the turbines and propeller shafts. She was cut in half and the forward section remained in Newcastle. In 1959 both sections were reunited in Newcastle and the whole craft was restored and put on public display. TURBINIA was taken off display in 1983 for further extensive renovation, which has restored her to her appearance in 1897 and she is now on display at the Newcastle Discovery Museum.