rear axle scammell explorer

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there got my seals on friday:yay: have been out workiong on Scammell, BBQing and drinking beer so not been on tinternet for a while. Seals look great but am still waiting for the complementery hub puller and spanner to turn up I assume you posted them seperately?!!:-D

Many thanks

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

no it did not go lame :-\ it was in need of some tender care and it is the only way i could get access to the clutch to modify it for a prop insted of the lay rub .:-D

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

Cor!!! Thats lurvly. Great paint job on the engine. I think I'd have to lift my Eagle out too, to fix the clutch etc, as it's all a bit tight 158 UXL. PSY 974 has an extra 4 inches on the chassis, bonnet etc. to leave the clutch housing in the original position, making clutch repair easy. Mine was in good condition, and with care should last a good few years undisturbed?

Jules

• 1 month later...

now i am looking at the front brakes ,it seems to pull one way when initially apply them then release slightly.:??? i was glad i looked one shoe was seized so not moving at all ,the other moved about 2mm then jamed:idea: that would explain what was happening.here is the pics

Image005 (2).jpg

Image008.jpg

Image003 (2).jpg

Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

on checking the bearings found they were worn but serviceable all but one and the seal was ok:sweat:now need another bearing chisg. outer timken 71760, inner timken 71437 roller taper bearing there is other stuff on it but cant read it :-D

Edited by gps

on checking the bearings found they were worn but serviceable all but one and the seal was ok:sweat:now need another bearing chisg. outer timken 71760, inner timken 71437 roller taper bearing there is other stuff on it but cant read it :-D

I'll get on it tomorrow lazy day to day :coffee:

thanks chrisg i now what you mean went over to the lorry today but the heat got the better of me feeling a bit rough, no shade:sweat::sweat:.

have not got to the other side yet hope its not so bad :)

• 4 months later...

hi all after going out on a jolly in the old girl i felt each of the wheel drums the triler ones were worm as were the rear on the lorry the front n/s wheel that i have done was a bit hoter , so is working well :),the o/s front wheel drum is stone cold so it looks like they must be sized :( more work :sweat:the linkage from the air cylinder is moving so must be deeper.is this a common fault or just mine :-\

• 3 weeks later...
hi all after going out on a jolly in the old girl i felt each of the wheel drums the triler ones were worm as were the rear on the lorry the front n/s wheel that i have done was a bit hoter , so is working well :),the o/s front wheel drum is stone cold so it looks like they must be sized :( more work :sweat:the linkage from the air cylinder is moving so must be deeper.is this a common fault or just mine :-\

its the way you drive it:-D:-D:-D