Ferret Mk 5 - where are they now?

sirhc

According to Pat Ware's book there were 32 Mk 5 Ferrets built. I know there is one at the Tank Museum, and one at B&E Boyes. There was one on the show circuit a few years ago which was then on milweb.

Where are the rest? Anyone seen one in a museum, at a show, on the ranges or anywhere else?

Chris

Where are the rest? Anyone seen one in a museum, at a show, on the ranges or anywhere else?

Shot to pieces :)

I can remember in the late Seventies or thereabouts, a load of these coming into the workshops on a train ( we had sidings there). The wheel stations were removed.........possibly engines and gearboxes as well, but never saw them so perhaps they had been removed already. Then they went to the local ranges.

Yes it was Paul Thompson who had the Mk 5, not seen it since it was on milweb. It sounds like there aren't going to be any others turning up any time soon.

Richard, do you know which ranges they went on? Not that there would be anything left now!

Chris

That's interesting. Ferret Registry lists 33BA81 as a Mark 1/1 configured as a Mark 2/3.

When I commanded it as a 15/19H Command Troop Rebroadcast in 1980 (having been taken on 15/19H strength in late 1977) it was undoubtedly a Mark 1.

Richard, do you know which ranges they went on? Not that there would be anything left now!

Chris,

Lydd Ranges. Might well have gone to the scrap man by now though. Over the years I have seen remains of Churchill and Daimler Armoured Car there.......all gone now. Also I surveyed a Mk1 Matilda which had been the target on a PIAT range long ago, parts of it were subsequently used on the running example at Bovington.

Hi Guys,

I have seen 2 in a pit on STANTA (thetford) , they were filled to the top with concrete and then shot to sh1t. i have some photos some where with reg numbers numbers on. i know i had the smoke dischargers off of one for the Scorp i had at the time.