Why can,t I edit some of my posts?

antarmike

Question

Posts 21 to 29 in "Eager Beaver record cards" "I amy be stupid" have lost button, but it's still there on post 30

Can't see anything special about them other than you have aready editted some of them... maybe something changed when the forum was upgraded a few days ago... will get Joris to have a look.... Jack don't even think about it:coffee:

Lee, just tried this on the following browsers:

Opera v9.62

FireFox v3.0.4

IE (32 bit) v7.0.6.001.18000

IE (64 bit) v (as above)

Google Chrome v0.4.154.25

All exhibit the same symptom of no edit button on posts more than a day or so old.

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Lads this is not, I repeat not a bug! Jack told me ( :whistle: ) to tweak the options in the control panel and I've set it so you can edit your posts for a day and then only moderatores can. I can change it back, not a problem but thought it nice to prevent people from editing older posts. Sometimes in a discussion people change their mind after a while and then edit their post to this new insight. This is a bit like falsifying history imho so I thougt it a good idea to prevent is. It would have been a good idea if I discussed it with the mods and or told everybody I did this.

:angel: no harm intended and sorry to have wasted everybodies time in bug hunting...

it makes back-reading rather hard...

Joris please don't turn that off as well! Although I know what you mean when I use quote, I try to limit the quote to the significant bit, it also helps where there are various threads within threads eg Humber Pig pictures thread & I also omit "quoting" pictures.

Edited by fv1609

For what it's worth I'm with you on this one Joris, I had noticed this a day or so before this thread started and thought it was a good change.

I have looked back on topics in the past and noticed that people had edited their posts in a discussion at a later date, this can make a counter argument look rather silly as any new reader reads the edited post first, or vise versa, and the respondent has moved on and not noticed.

It should also make us think more carefully before posting.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

It does mean as well that something you posted and later found not correct,cant be changed by the person posting.In my Africa trip i have altered or enlarged a subject as i have found pics or diarys not available at the time.The hard core of members read most things as they come up.who is this change to benefit,members who have never posted,or guests,i say leave it as it is.I think its important that the basic matereal is correct,and if we are talking about peoples views in maybe other topics

or the like that they then change so what,its more important to keep and be able to correct historical facts in my opinion.making it unecesarily complicated i think if i have to ask a mod to edit a post i have made and wish to change.What we need is a spell check of our own,especially me.

Now I know what's going on I say good idea Joris... little point in someone editing an old thread that's already been read.. on the old forum the Mods had to edit threads so no worries there...

If you have changed your mind or made a mistake just make another post to make the correction...that way everyone will notice it not just one or two reading old threads...

As for spell checkers there are plenty about that you can use.. try this one or just do a search... http://www.iespell.com/ I prefer the Google one myself.. or just compose long posts in Word & use it's spell checker

Edited by Marmite!!