Stolly values

carbuilder2002

I'm no expert but I'll have a stab for you:

Replacing the winch will be a PITA as it's under the cab floor. However if you don't intend either swimming it or using the winch this is possibly not a problem.

Clutch is either an engine out or gearbox out job AFAIK. Either will require heavy lift equipment and lots of time to burrow down to them. If it's stood for donkey years it might just be the clutch plates are stuck together or a loss of hydraulic pressure from either master, slave or both.

Brakes can be a mixture - all wheels are disc and caliper and acessible with the wheels off quite easily (do not ask how I've learnt this :)). The only flexi hoses are from the hull to the calipers. Airpacks and piping to the centre and rear wheel stations are fairly easily (in Stalwart terms) accessible from under the cargo decking

Brake master cylinder and the handbrakes/front brake piping are back under the cab floor plating and in PITA territory again.

Value wise - it really depends on what the rest of the old girl is like -side/rear gates, tyres, cab interior, electrics, any swim kit still fitted etc. Only you know this but going by the guide in CMV prices range from £3,000 to £4,250. I assume these are for working vehicles so for a non runner depending on condition I'd guess an offer between £1,00 to £2,000 might be in order???

Don't forget you'll need a low-loader to get her home on as the Alvis 6x6 family shouldn't be towed more than a few hundred yards!!

To be honest i think my Mum will have to sell ours soon. I mean i would hate to see it go but it's a far to big job for just us to do. And on the transporting thing my dad drove his about 140 miles (i think) up the M40/M6 with a big army living trailer in the middle of the night and someone nearly choked in the trailer from the fumes. And that was to get from Heathrow to Weston Park offroad show. And after that he drove it back without any mechanical faults. Not many stolly owners would do that but then again my dad was mad. My point is the whole drivetrain can last quite a while wthout breaking.When running sweetly i think a Stalwart is probably one the nicest sounding vehicles out there.

Edited by chambers101

Yours was (is?) running though Mike! - the one in question sounds very much like it isn't!!

I drove mine home from East Sussex - roughly 80 miles - when I bought her and will be bringing here home under her own power - eventually - from RR's down in Kent, about 40 miles. It's all part of the fun of owning one of the old girls! :)

140 miles was good going though - I think these days the costs of the fuel might be the problem, not the mechanical reliability.....

my dad drove his about 140 miles (i think) up the M40/M6 with a big army living trailer in the middle of the night and someone nearly choked in the trailer from the fumes. .

Isn't towing a trailer/caravan with someone in it illegal as well as dangerous :confused:

Have been offered a Mk2 Stolly complete less winch for restoration, needs a clutch and brakes sorting but otherwise just light restoration.

Anyone able to advise what its worth as he has asked me to make an offer.

Been stored indoors for last unpteen years.

Thank in advance.

Should you want the correct winch to put back in it PM me.

Isn't towing a trailer/caravan with someone in it illegal as well as dangerous :confused:

You can legally have someone riding in a living van being towed. Provided it has two or more axles which are not close coupled. (Ie it is Turntable steered on front axle or has ackerman steering such as on a Brockhouse Map van or the like.)

You can't do it in a two axle caravan, where the axles are grouped together in the centre (or close coupled)

Edited by antarmike