Oil & heat resistant paint

david052

Question

Hi

I want to repaint the floor of the engine bay of my CVRT. It has a cream coloured paint on it which I would like to replicate, and I guess it is heat resistant as well as oil and grease resistant. I can find white or silver paint but not cream. Does anybody have any thoughts on where I can get the right stuff?

Cheers

9 answers to this question

The white paint on the interior of CVRTs is a polyurethane paint. I used some bilge paint I got from the local marina, it's made by International Paints, called Danboline. I did the bottom of my Sabre with this.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=PLYMA100-750X&Category_code=international-paint-finishes

It will have been white when painted, but probably went cream after a few years of spilt oil.

Chris

Thought they were all painted silver:confused: it's not the etching primer you're looking at is it??

It's only on the base and up the walls for about 6 inches. Interestingly there was note in pencil on the side above the line - 'paint', so maybe it should have been fully painted? Definitely not etching primer, it's quite smooth and strong.

The white paint on the interior of CVRTs is a polyurethane paint. I used some bilge paint I got from the local marina, it's made by International Paints, called Danboline. I did the bottom of my Sabre with this.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=PLYMA100-750X&Category_code=international-paint-finishes

It will have been white when painted, but probably went cream after a few years of spilt oil.

Chris

That's great - thanks. I used bilge cleaner to get rid of most of the oil and grease (clearly when they did a oil change they simply allowed the used oil to run out onto the floor!), which did a good job. The similarities to a boat are quite apt. Though they do qite a good job of keeping the water in rather than out!

Danboline retails at £16.00 for 750ml and will cover 8m2 Blakes marine paints do a bilge paint at £12.50 for the same amount and coverage, both the whites come out off white and will go cream as they wear and age, the advantage is they are oil resistant and particularly high opacity (don't know about heat though... I wouldn't have thought so)

(I know, coz we sells it :cool2:)