Early British Trucks

Hi Guys

I am just about to start working on replacing a rather nasty plywood cab floor in a Morris CDSW.

I know that they had plywood in the war, but would they have used it, or should it have been planks of solid wood?

If so, what wood, Pine or hardwood ?

Your thoughts please.

Jules

From my limited knowledge on the subject I would have thought solid wood. Pine was harvested from my area of the country for the war effort, but I would have thought ply being less cost effective. As in the case of most vehicles, wouldnt they have just got what they could have got their hands on?

Yes, Thanks guys

I agree with all, solid timber boards, not plywood.

At that time, 1920's-30's -40's, a lot of pine was used, this was called 'Pitch Pine' not available today though, it was a very close grained timber and used for everything like floorboards, doors, windows in the building trade. I am sure that it was used for the early timber GS rear bodies too.

The nearest we can get today is Columbian pine, so this is what I will use.

Thanks for your imput.

Jules

I am just about to start working on replacing a rather nasty plywood cab floor in a Morris CDSW.

I know that they had plywood in the war, but would they have used it

Jules, they did use plywood during the war.

I have personally seen two Morris´ with plywood floors and they were original!

Hanno

Hi Guys

I know that they had plywood in the war, but would they have used it, or should it have been planks of solid wood?

If so, what wood, Pine or hardwood ?

Your thoughts please.

Jules

My Ford WOA2 has plywood for the tool box cover and some small bits of flooring, but the main rear floor is beech.

Jules - if you have anybody dealing in archiectural salvage near you it might be worth an enquiry for pine flooring . We recently did a pretty big floor for a customer and the boards apparently came out of a Telecom workshop , good thickness , decent quality and planed and sanded up nicely.

Dave