WW2 Bargrip Tyre Shape?

N.O.S.

Question

There are two types of bar tread tyres - the relatively flat tread one (e..g. Bedford Mk - Goodyear), and the profile with rounded shoulders (e.g. Omaha, as seen on post war Reo trucks etc.).

My question is - was the rounded profile used in WW2?

It never ceases to amaze me how little I know.

4 answers to this question

I think the square shoulder tyres were known as ND and the later rounded ones as NDCC.
That's correct, NDT = Non-Directional Tread, a.k.a. NDMS, Non-Directional Mud and Snow. NDCC stands for Non-Directional Cross Country tread, a post-war pattern.

British wartime tyres came in the following types (source: Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles / Army Transport 1939-1945, edited by David Fletcher):

- Cross Country: heavily built tyres with bold, broad and deep treads.

- General Purpose: tyres of lighter construction than Cross Country, with narrower, shallower treads and more rounded shoulders.

- Sand: tread often similar to the normal commercial design, but it is broader and carcass is of special light constuction.

The best known British pattern is Dunlop's Trak Grip. As I understand it, this tread was moulded both on Cross Country and General Purpose tyres. The latter is shown in the pic below.

Hope this helps,

Hanno

dunlop_trakgrip_6ply_1.jpg

Edited by mcspool