Quad 20mm Polsten.

tyler

Hi all, I'll be starting a restoration on my WW2 Quad 20mm Polsten traillered Anti Aircraft unit within the next 2 weeks, so as soon as its delivered I'll start work/posts on it.

This is what it looks like and about the same condition too,

klkj9mb.th.png

Thanks.

Tyler.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I'll be starting a restoration on my WW2 Quad 20mm Polsten traillered Anti Aircraft unit within the next 2 weeks, so as soon as its delivered I'll start work/posts on it.

This is what it looks like and about the same condition too,

klkj9mb.th.png

Thanks.

Tyler.

Is that the one from JP DEACS? If so you beat me to it :cry:

Hi safariswing, yes its one of the one's from JPDeacts, the one pictured was sold about 18 months ago but the bloke hasen't picked it up yet, I saw them advertised in the back of Gun Mart for about a year before I bought mine last March before he started to advertise them on Milweb, John Price was telling me how people in Holland, Germany, Ireland and America were buying them off him without even seing a pic, they only made 1000, they are massive compared to the Quad 0.50cal, it may be worth giving John a ring you never know :lol: . He's had two or three batches I know of so try giving him a ring, he's a very nice bloke.

Thanks.

Tyler.

Well, I think the Albion Archive have about 22 on their Register, and in practice I reckon there are about 30 in existence, I do know of 4 that were scrapped last year.

I have one which I am restoring presently.

I have attached a couple of photos of the Albion.albPIC00107.JPG and albPIC00111.JPGand a picture of the Polstenpolsten.jpg

Yeah !

She will have eventually a Radar, AA, No3 Mk2 in tow behind her, weighing about 9.5 tons. There is a 15kVA Lister generator which will be placed in the rear body to power the radar, and it only just fits !

I am hoping the CX22 will be ready for show towards the end of the year.

Hi All, sorry I havent posted any pics yet been washing it and painting it, but can anyone tell me how to remove the Quad mount from the trailer unit E.G. lower the rear or front first, how to operate the coupling device on the front of the mount itself, as I am cleaning up and painting the trailer unit first.

Thanks.

Tyler.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, here are the pics of the Quad Polsten, Ive taken over 150 pics of it so far, I bought it last March for £1500 from JPDeacts in Staffordshire it came with 1 tatty gun cover and a missing backrest (since found down the back of unit hidden by leaves) its dated 1944 along with the tyres.

The lorry that was due to arrive at 2pm on the Wednesday but was delayed till the Thursday 2pm came and went it eventually arrived at 4:30 only to discover that the Quad Polsten had moved and smashed several hydraulic pipes for the lorry loading ramps, so a repair van was called arrived at 6pm to replace the pipes, "Of coarse while all this was happening and between making the Teas, the customary Nosey Parker/Moaner had migrated into the area :twisted: " the repairs were done by 6:45 and we commenced unloading, the SWB Landy was put into action to tow the Quad Polsten and very well to did too, by 7:15 we were all done :D

Ive mostly been cleaning up the trailer unit for Redoxiding, but Ive also done some parts of the unit, the guns/cannons mainly need a pressure wash to remove lots of grease, the magazines have already been cleaned/blued and put away ready for when its complete.

The engine turns over, which after god knows how many years of not being used is quite nice, the only parts that are missing are the sight mounting bushes and bolts the sight, the connecting bar that connects the sight bar to the elevation unit and a jack handle.

While cleaning the mudguards up I found some markings, on the front of the Right mudguard I found a red Maple leaf (7cm H X 6cm W), also on the same mudguard on I found a stencilled marking:

I.V.

H-797329 (18cm Long),

and on the rear of the Left mudguard I found a red circle (3" Dia),

Here are some pics:

5b11cfdb.jpg

9ff4a222.jpg

4eb276ca.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

The unit runs on 10.50x16 wheels, weighs over 3.1 tonnes, it runs off a self contained power unit single cylinder petrol engine, which powers the hydralics which makes the whole of unit's movements hydraliclly powered.

If anyone can tell me what paint colours it would have been in, type of units it would have served in etc, where I can find missing parts of pattens I would be very greatfull.

Sorry for the amount of pics posted, still have a few more to post before the renovation pics start :roll: if you go the my site link their are more/the rest of the pics (still more to add).

Thanks.

Tyler.

DSC01681.jpg Control switch board still has the wrapping on it from when it was mothballed (control coloum was also wrapped up).

DSC01682.jpgA friend who helped restore the B25 at Duxford said that they are alomst identical to the tail gunners control coloum.

DSC01683.jpg

DSC01685.jpg The mudguatds are made of rather thick steel which means no welding is needed, as there was only very slight pitting :D .

DSC01771.jpg Turns over, fuel bowl was nissing so found a spare Landy item which fits perfectly.

DSC01775.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01777.jpg

DSC00820.jpg Just some of the Quads at JPDeacts (all were sold mostly forign buyers).

Thats all the pre revovation pics, renovation pics tomorrow. :roll:

Thanks.

Tyler.

Tyler, great item - now you really need a CMP truck to tow it. :wink:

If anyone can tell me what paint colours it would have been in, type of units it would have served in etc, where I can find missing parts of pattens I would be very greatfull.

Ask ackack on this forum, he's restored a Quad Polsten as well.

Cheers,

Hanno

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick, its coming along at ok just not fast enough for me :roll: , I am concentrating on the brake system at the moment so it can go to Duxford's show this year, I think the Auxilary engine is a single cylinder Wisconson, 4 stroke, electric start.

Thanks.

Tyler.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, here's an update, most of the work done recently has beeen based around

the wheels and brakes so not alot to see,

DSC01841.jpg

DSC01847.jpg

Inside the brake drum looks untouched since it was first built, all the bearings E.T.C. are fine,

DSC01848.jpg

The brake cylinders look OK apart from some very slight perishing on the dust rubbers, but once the pads are removed we will Know for sure,

DSC01849.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

Tyler.