My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

Posted (edited)

"Last Man Standing"

When we got there on Monday morning, the field kitchen was gone, but for their tents, the other dioramas ( except the Hand-me-down brigade ) had packed up for the Durham market place event and we were the only vehicles there. So rather than being at the end of the field, we moved the vehicles and barbed wire further up to where the field kitchen had been.

tanfield_21.jpg

The sun was out again for Monday, but not all day and there were a few heavy showers. We'd enjoyed the show, despite the weather trying its hardest to spoil things, so had made the right call not to camp.

tanfield_24.jpg

More pictures can be found on my website - https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2024/tanfield.htm

Edited by Jessie The Jeep
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Village D-Day Beacon Lighting - June 6th

A week and a half after Tanfield, we took our Jeep and Dodge to the village green for the D-Day beacon lighting ceremony. The Jeep also had its RAF markings added again, so the vehicles represented both Commonwealth and US forces at the event. More about that will be posted on my Dodge thread shortly.

dday_05.jpg

dday_17.jpg

More pictures on my website - https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2024/dday.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Poppy Field Photoshoot - June 19th

I needed to pick my daughter up from school on Wednesday the 19th of June, so I took the Jeep for a run out. There are a number of poppy fields around here at present and I wanted to get some photos with the Jeep.

poppy_01.jpg

poppy_02.jpg

We made a 10 mile trip around some of the local lanes, ending up at the wood next to the village church. It's a shame that none of the roads pass right along side a poppy field, but it was still a lovely warm afternoon drive.

poppy_07.jpg

poppy_09.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bowes Railway 1940s Weekend - June 22/23rd

I was booked to take the Dodge to Northallerton at the end of June, so to save the fuel it had, I just took the Jeep to Bowes railway both days. Summer began a few days before Bowes, with clear sky and hot sunny weather - about time! I took Jessie in the Ordnance Depot markings for the first day and since it was nice weather, had the roof off. I got sun burnt and was exhausted on Saturday evening. 

bowes_01.jpg

bowes_27.jpg

There were a number of dioramas including British, American, Russian and German. For obvious reasons, Russian re-enactors have been portraying other armed forces for the last couple of years, so I was surprised to see them out this year.

bowes_09.jpg

bowes_11.jpg

There were multi-period displays elsewhere in the village, but it was too hot to be bothered to go for a walk. Here's a panorama which includes most of the military vehicles on show. A couple of Jeeps, the Kubelwagon and halftrack were out of shot.

bowes_33.jpg

I stopped off in one of the country lanes for some pictures on the way home.

bowes_35.jpg

More pictures can be found on my website here - https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2024/bowes.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hartlepool Historic Quay 1940s Weekend - July 6/7th

At the start of July, I took a Jeep to Hartlepool Historic Quay, visiting HMS Trincomalee, for the museum's 1940s weekend. I had planned to take a Jeep and Dodge on Sunday when Lynne was free to drive, but due to the forecast of thundery showers both days, I decided not to bother with the Dodge.

hartlepool_02.jpg

I didn't want to be caught, packing the roof away in a thunderstorm. Instead, the doors were fitted to the Jeep and I took it in the Flying Control markings. 

hartlepool_03.jpg

Some of the usual guys and displays were there, in addition to some less often seen in our area. One of these was the Royal Navy mine disposal display.

hartlepool_07.jpg

In addition to a great talk about defusing a German parachute mine, getting into the diving gear was also eye opening - especially since this gear was used into the 1970s.

hartlepool_06.jpg

The displays were spread around the three sides of the quayside.

hartlepool_09.jpg

While the museum displays inside the buildings were left era related to HMS Trincomalee, the contents of the shop windows were changed to reflect the 1940s show theme and there were a number of 1940s posters around the site.

hartlepool_15.jpg

There was a firing display by the Wizzbangs group on both days of the show. A few faces from last year were missing, as the show clashed with Ingleton and while that was not a local show, some had gone there.

hartlepool_22.jpg

HMS Trincomalee is a Leda-class frigate and was designed in 1812. It was built in Bombay, India and was launched in 1817. After serving in one form or another until 1986, the ship was restored over an eleven year period. HMS Trincomalee, while 52 years younger than HMS Victory, is the oldest British warship still afloat. I was thankful for the doors on the way home both days, but at least the time at the show was mostly dry.

hartlepool_25.jpg

• Like 4