matador help

bumper

Hello, we have just started restoration of ex RAF matador, it had been converted to a timber lorry and we wish to return it to original spec, the problem is we cannot seem to find any parts suppliers. Also the cab will have to be totally rebuilt, does anybody know if plans are available to help us do it correctly?. If you have any information, parts, however small, please add it to this post so I can build a list, thanking you in advance, Gareth.

ok here are some pics, you can see the results of a day with the gas axe!!

Everything works except the compressor, repaired one of the alloy plates on the block and she now holds water, starts fine but will not idle well, long way to go but have started. Please, if anyone has cab drawings we would be very gratefull, will post more as we go along, Regards, Gareth.

matador 001.jpg

matador 002.jpg

matador 003.jpg

matador 007.jpg

matador 012.jpg

matador 011.jpg

matador 016.jpg

matador 018.jpg

matador 020.jpg

matador 021.jpg

matador 022.jpg

matador 004.jpg

matador 013.jpg

matador 014.jpg

matador 017.jpg

matador 019.jpg

Edited by bumper
mistakes

AEC never built a cab for a matador. They only built the chassis. all cabs were built by coach-builders and there are major and minor differnces between most Matador cabs. doors are rarely the same width and height etc. Some are built in two halves with the top half removable, Some are almost flat roofed, some have a single curve, others compound curves. some had cupolas others didnt. some had a complete tropical roof, others only the half over the driver had a double skin, and yet others had the inide wooden framing (normally visible, covered with hardboard to give a "double skin effect, without a top skin on wooden spacers.

It is virtually impossible to know the original spec for your cab, since I had two Matadors from the same contract, delivered within a few weeks, each having gone to diffeernt coachbuilders and being very differnt indeed.

Just look through the Matador Gallery in transportes and wreckers section....

Edited by antarmike

Some have close fitting doors, with 5mm Clearance all round. other have a 25 mm gap and a big flap of rubber to get the rain out! Some have rear windows, others do not.

On some the visible cab springing is round section spring steel . on others it is square.

There is no standard.

Windscreens vary widely. Brass is the most normal, but some are alumimium. Some cabs have vents in the front panel (of two different types. ) other have none.

Do whatever takes your fancy cos nothing is "Right" for a Matador, and I guess you'll never know how your was made yet alone who the coachbuilder was.

starts fine but will not idle well,

Hi Bumper, does it hunt a lot (revs slowly go up and down causing near-stall)?

This could just be the governor running dry - am I right in thinking there is a seperate filler for the governor part of the Matador fuel pump, experts? Might take a little while for it to improve once oil is added.

If engine oil is a nice silver colour, start worrying. Even a kn&ckered Matador engine might well start and run really nicely until it gets warmed up well.

The main injector pump has an oil level as does the governor on the back, methods of level checking vary depending on whether its CAV or simms pump. Also worth checking fuel system - filter and lift pump for air leaks. Also clean out sediment bowl in lift pump and gauze filter. Finally the changover tap on the fuel tank (if still fitted) can cause problems if the seal behind perishes which lets air in. Just some of the probs I've come accross and been told by other helpful bods whilst getting mine running.

As for the cab I can second antar mikes response, there certainly seem to be no end of variations, not really surprising as they are "coach built". I think the very early ones had a flatter roof before the curved shape was adopted. I gather two types of wood were used (although I stand to be corrected here) ash and possibly keroin, apparently the ash was more succeptable to rot.

If you were closer you would be welcome to take a few measurements from mine as it appears pretty standard and unmodified.

If any specific pictures would help I can post some up.

Regards, Ed

The main injector pump has an oil level as does the governor on the back, methods of level checking vary depending on whether its CAV or simms pump. ........Regards, Ed

Thanks Ed. I was certain mine had that problem and that's how we sorted it. Often operators overlook the governor level plug, thinking there is just the one to check.

Wow, thank's guys for your messages, the tickover problem may just be poor adjustment of throttle linkage or something else, won't know till we get round to it, you've pointed us in the right direction though.

Think we have the compressor working now, the valves were a little bunged up, but the bores were spot on, pulled the aux gearbox apart and its in good condition.

Two problems have emerged at present, the rear pinion has suffered a little damage and will need to be replaced, does anyone know if these are still available and are they common to other AEC vehicles?. The next is the chassis has cracked both sides just behind the cab, it has been repaired at sometime but they have only welded the outer surfaces and poorly at that, must have been done out in the field.

Good news, all the brake cylinders work and hold air, we were a little unsure if they would.

Will post a few more pics when time allows and things get done, cheers for now, Gareth.

Bumper

Where are geographically? we have a Mat and bought a rough cab a few years back which may give you some assistance in teh reconstaruction, there are doors as well but they too as in need of work!!! we are based in Somerset

Let me know