WW2 British Army liveries.

modeller

The trucks are Bedford OXC but use the same cab as the OY, they are classed at 6 ton 4x2-2 Bedford/Scammell the trailer being the Scammell componant. the photo shows the flat bed trailer but tanker, general service and signal bodies were also used.

Transport images address is 17 foxdene road, Seasalter, Whitstable, Kent CT5 4QY

BW Models Hillcrest, Kirkbrae, Cuminestown,Turriff, Aberdeenshire, AB53 5YZ

Transport images do not have a web site at present but a SAE A5 size will bring you a list the same for BW models. BW have a site--- BWModels@btinternet.com

i have mislaid MMS address but will dig it out the web site for them is mmsmodels@hotmail.co

I have attached a few photos to help

1 Foden DG 10 ton, useful if you want to include some bulk carriers Transport Miniatures have this cab in the range

2 In RAF livery but this is the OXC Bedford tractor

3 Another big load carrier the Leyland Hippo MK2 this photo shows the Mickey Mouse camouflage used during 1944.

The Cooper craft models are very much hit and miss but the chassis might be useful, the only use i ever found for the wheels was to use them on trailers and the cab needs a lot of work to build a decent AEC

Mention was made as to the use of the flimsies in this period i believe some were still at large but there does seem to be a awful lot in the photo which points to a slightly earlier date but this should not detract you from useing the photo as a model reference plus model jerry cans are more widely available

cheers

Les

arjan1.jpg

gf4.jpg

arjan3.jpg

Well done, Les, and well done everybody; many thanks! I think I have all I need now, and lots of references noted and downloaded for the immediate and later future. Looks to me like the MMS Austin K3s are favourite, if I can get hold of a few of them in time. One question on those before I jump in; if I am going to model cans being transferred from rail to road, do the K3 body mouldings have separate canvas tilts or do they need to be sawn off and the body sides "restored"? Has anyone built one of these to answer that? Come to that, I have not yet found a supplier of the later fuel cans - can anyone help there? (Especially moulded "stacks", but single cans will also be necessary to fill in full loads.) If that doesn't work, I suppose almost anything would be in order, as was previously noted, from loo rolls to tents and with both under tarpaulins in railway and road trucks I don't suppose it matters much! So, once again, many thanks for your help, gentlemen, and I know where to return to if I have any more questions. Cheerio for now, :tup::

Edited by modeller

The tarps on the MMS kits are seperate so can put to one side if not required, they are cast in metal as per the kit but it should be easy enough to cut the back out with a hack saw and make up a rolled canvas to place on the roof. One trick i use to save useing loads of cans or boxes etc is to make a three piece false floor to just below the top of the body line and then you will need just one layer of cans, if its to be loaded with boxes these can take 1,2 or even three layers . Glad all this helps and keep us informed of progress

cheers

Les

A truck rigged as a fuel carrier would have a wooden slat floor, to allow for leackage to drain and air circulation so no vapour build up. The silencer exhaust would also be modified to the front of the engine under the bumper. There would be a wooden barrier bettween cab and back. I can't recall seeing picturs of ones with canvas on for the same reasons as the wooden floor.

Come to that, I have not yet found a supplier of the later fuel cans - can anyone help there? (Especially moulded "stacks", but single cans will also be necessary to fill in full loads.) If that doesn't work, I suppose almost anything would be in order, as was previously noted, from loo rolls to tents and with both under tarpaulins in railway and road trucks I don't suppose it matters much!

Memory suggests to me that the Airfix Command Post set provides a good number of DefStor, jerry- and larger cans, wriggly tin, etc

Hello again!! I take it you are all aware of the "Henk" company of Holland? I merely ask as the company has not been mentioned with regard to 1:76th scale kits and they do what looks to be a nice Morris 6x4 GS lorry (about half-way down the page). See http://henk.fox3000.com/giesbers.htm for details.

What I am also after is photos of a Bofors Gun in readiness for action. I do not know if any were used to protect railway facilities, perhaps some were set up for short periods as "training excercises" in locations where they just might prove useful! I am guessing but putting one in a field close by my railway goods yard might be appropriate... Your comments, gentlemen???

Appropos the "tinnies" being unloaded from railway wagons at Waddesdon, I note a tarpaulin in the foreground. Since the rest of the wagons are uncovered, and bearing in mind various comments, would it be reasonable to conclude from the photographic evidence that the wagons were covered for the rail journey (presumably to disguise the wagon's contents if for no other reason), but that the wagons were uncovered well before being unloaded so as to allow the fumes to disapate before being moved? That would account for the photo but does it reflect reality??? Anyone know?

Regards,

Edited by modeller

Thanks Tony, thanks Les; The "Hippo" was a post WW2 vehicle was it not? Were those marking current in the early '40s? (I guess I'll find out for myself when Robert Houghton's book arrives...) That's a handy photo of the Bofors, complete with a set of sites which look like an up-dated, simplified version of the first one you posted. Anyone know which was current in (say), 1942? Come to that, anyone got a photo of the Morris truck which comes with the Airfix kit? What markings would that have had in (say) 1942? Trouble with this game is, the more you learn, the more questions you have to ask... Many TIA...

regards,

We call it the'Green Disease' no known cure. The red green diagonals were current WW2 for RASC vehicles I took it because there are no coulored photos in the book. You will have to decide what divisonal markings you want. Because you are doing a 'Home Front' set up you'd be warranted adding such delights as NAFFI, Anti Aircraft Command on the Bofors, WVS. St Johns Ambulance, all the 'Forgotten Forces'. How about Home Guard, they gaurded railways?

The Hippo was a WW2 design truck the MK1 with a open cab and canvas roof came into service around 1939, these featured twin rear wheels 36-8. In 1944 the MK2 was introduced with a panel cab and large single 14.00-20 tyres and shortly after the MK2A withthe odd tyre arrangement of 10.50-22 front and 36x8 rears. the last two did indeed serve on well into the 1970s the MK2A being some of the last

Hello Chaps,

(Thanks, Tony.) Both MMS and Robert Houghton have duly delivered the goods. Thanks to both and to you all for the recommendations; both well worthwhile.:)

REVIEW OF ROBERT HOUGHTON'S BOOK "RUN AWAY, SOMEBODY'S COMING". Basically Robert's history of his experiences driving for the RASC in WW2. A fascinating read, full of interesting detail with some interesting B&W photos which, although rather pixilated (I guess scanners weren't as good ten years ago), do show a great many of the vehicles which the RASC used, including water and kitchen/mess trucks; a vital part of any convoy! There's a lot of useful detail included, such as the fact that rear diffs on all the lorries (they only became "trucks" when the Yanks arrived, it seems), were painted white and dully illuminated with a small lamp (probably a side-lamp) so that lorries could follow in convoy at night without having their lights on. Very iffy, apparently... So have all you chaps will trucks got your rear differentials painted white and illuminated at night??? There's lots more fascinating info in the book and Robert assures me the RASC badge was not Blue/Green, it was Blue/Yellow, with the blue in the top left-hand triangle and the yellow in the bottom right. Both were surmounted with a 2" wide white band which had the platoon letter (A, B, C, etc), and the number of the vehicle in the platoon. So, with normally 13 lorries to a platoon that would be, for "A" platoon, "A1", "A2", etc. to "A13". He was there; he should know! Apparently the number on the lorry was normally the order the drivers drove in the convoy so that the NCOs, riding back to find out where the rest of the convoy was, knew who was missing and knew, by counting, who was driving which lorry. So, now you know! Get the book, it's a fascinating and rarely-told story, probably typical of the many hundreds of thousand who's war was not all guns and bullets but just as vital and, as the book shows, not without its share of dangers and discomforts... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT IT ALL READY!!! (For the record, I do not know Robert, have never met him and this is purely a review by a very satisfied buyer/reader of the book.):yay:

The MMS whitemetal models are rather good too; a fair amount of flash to trim off but no excess of unnecessary parts and the faces of the parts are very good. Looking forward to making them! More on these, later...

Hope this is helpful to all.

Regards,

(P.S. Robert also writes to me, "You may wish to procure through "Amazon" a copy of Bart Vanderveen's book ' Historic Military Vehicles Directory'. Full of pics and detail. This book will also assist in identifying gun tractors relative to AckAck or field artillery.")

Hello Chaps,

(Thanks, Tony.) Both MMS and Robert Houghton have duly delivered the goods. Thanks to both and to you all for the recommendations; both well worthwhile.:)

REVIEW OF ROBERT HOUGHTON'S BOOK "RUN AWAY, SOMEBODY'S COMING". Basically Robert's history of his experiences driving for the RASC in WW2. A fascinating read, full of interesting detail with some interesting B&W photos which, although rather pixilated (I guess scanners weren't as good ten years ago), do show a great many of the vehicles which the RASC used, including water and kitchen/mess trucks; a vital part of any convoy! There's a lot of useful detail included, such as the fact that rear diffs on all the lorries (they only became "trucks" when the Yanks arrived, it seems), were painted white and dully illuminated with a small lamp (probably a side-lamp) so that lorries could follow in convoy at night without having their lights on. Very iffy, apparently... So have all you chaps will trucks got your rear differentials painted white and illuminated at night??? There's lots more fascinating info in the book and Robert assures me the RASC badge was not Blue/Green, it was Blue/Yellow, with the blue in the top left-hand triangle and the yellow in the bottom right. Both were surmounted with a 2" wide white band which had the platoon letter (A, B, C, etc), and the number of the vehicle in the platoon. So, with normally 13 lorries to a platoon that would be, for "A" platoon, "A1", "A2", etc. to "A13". He was there; he should know! Apparently the number on the lorry was normally the order the drivers drove in the convoy so that the NCOs, riding back to find out where the rest of the convoy was, knew who was missing and knew, by counting, who was driving which lorry. So, now you know! Get the book, it's a fascinating and rarely-told story, probably typical of the many hundreds of thousand who's war was not all guns and bullets but just as vital and, as the book shows, not without its share of dangers and discomforts... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT IT ALL READY!!! (For the record, I do not know Robert, have never met him and this is purely a review by a very satisfied buyer/reader of the book.):yay:

The MMS whitemetal models are rather good too; a fair amount of flash to trim off but no excess of unnecessary parts and the faces of the parts are very good. Looking forward to making them! More on these, later...

Hope this is helpful to all.

Regards,

(P.S. Robert also writes to me, "You may wish to procure through "Amazon" a copy of Bart Vanderveen's book ' Historic Military Vehicles Directory'. Full of pics and detail. This book will also assist in identifying gun tractors relative to AckAck or field artillery.")

:) Glad you've enjoyed reading it,............I did also, along with my Dad, who was RASC.

Andy