FWD Model B 3 ton Lorry

Rlangham

Ah, so ! Now we know where the Dancing Girls have been hidden! And why the whippersnapper was getting so excited! :idea:

It is well worth a vist though. The American Air force in Europe is superb. I was up that way when the B52 was put in, the building wa sthen finished around it. For thoise who haven't been the land Warfare Hall has a sand and rubble floor just the sort of enviroment the vehicles operated in, very effective.

I can vouch for the sandy floor. When we were doing our FWD, we initially planned to put the British Army body on it. To find out how it should look, I arranged to go to Duxford and have a measure up of this one. I spent all day on the wrong side of the wire, exposing several films, measuring and making notes. When I finished, I realised that my modern rubber soles had left footprints absolutely everywhere, completely ruining the effect! I had to apologise in my thank you letter.

Incidentally, this lorry is very original as I believe Wynns used it as a support vehicle before the Second War and as a sort of mascot up until the 70's. The IWM have rebuilt it and replaced the timber but all the ironwork is original. It is well worth a visit but, unfortunately, I have never seen it running.

Steve

• 1 month later...