1400x20 bar tread tyres

Phil P

Just joined this forum so I am not too sure what to do, but one thing I do know I am looking for a pair of 1400x20 bar treads. Same pattern as fitted to Stolly's for my 1944 Leyland Hippo MK II. I bought 4 a couple of years ago for the rears now I need 2 for the front. I have rung/e mailed the dealers I can think of and Withams suggested I join this forum. So anybody got a good pair. I have had my Hippo 25 years and clocked up 40,000 miles so it ain't no 'hanger queen'.

Phil P

Welcome to the Friendliest Forum on the Web. Nice choice of Historic Military Vehicle ! Big and Green and every thing else on the road gives way ......

Watch out for the verious smaller vehicles in and around the club house car park ther is always room you just need to find it sometimes .

Come on in most of the others are at the bar , a number of others at down by the Club Pond watching races between the Stollies the Seep's and Catweazels Boat !

Well what can I say, not often stuck for words and this is no exception! Me write in Windscreen? could it be the same Phil P with a Hippo with power steering and a Cummins hidden up front? Hmmm. I digress. Cheers Degsy for that and Tony B and infact everybody who has acted so quickly. I will ring/e mail the contacts and get the 'Big 'un' sorted out. Thank you. See told you I am never stuck for words. I could make War and Peace (the book not Wrecks Cadmans bit of a do) look like a pamphlet!!

Phil.

Hi Tony.

I didn't think I could mention Dodge on this Forum. The Grey 'un is going fine. 800 miles since mid April. Almost destroyed the ozone. Just another 100 miles should do the trick!

Over the winter the rebuilt and warmed over T214 will go in. Lightened and balanced and a gentle bit of porting. NO 4-71 'Jimmy huffer' like on some other forum to make it go and no chipping. Jus' good ol' fashion toonin' like it used ta be.

Thanks to this forum I have sourced some 1400x20 tyres just 35 miles from home so on Saturday morning it's a trip in the 'Grey 'un' to buy rubber. I have cleaned up and painted one rim and just got to split another and take the tyre off. I hope the next one comes apart as easily as the first one and not have to use the JCB back hoe and jack leg like one of the rears needed. Ooh that was fun. Not.

Thank you to everybody who posted. I was starting think I would never find any.

Phil

I forgot to say my daughters partner prefers the Hippo to the Dodge he says it commands respect. What a shame the Ford Focus driver who tried to dive up the inside of the Hippo as we turned left off a traffic island didn't realise that. Oops mucho crumple!! First time I knew he was there was when I was pushing him broadside down the road. He got quite upset. So did I, it put a scratch on my front bumper.

Phil.

Look in mirrors first, as my old instructor always said the mirrors are the second driver. Trouble is as we all know when the idiots come steaming up to close to large vehicles and are in the blind spot. If you can't see the mirrors we can't see you. I think some people are missing the gene that allows them to see a bus. Mind you I'll agree some bus drivers seem to be missing the gene that allows them to see low bridges.

Yipee I've got 6 wheels and tyres on the Hippo. Thank's Sirhc I got them from Hamptons. Nice folks. It's just the hernia on a hernia on a..... Chucking wheels around that weigh 350lbs at my age. Anyway they are sorted. By the way they laid flat in the back of my WC51 with an inch to spare. 70 mile round trip on Saturday into North Staffs MVT Area. Did the old Hippo tyres come off the rims easily after 25 years? Did they ........!! Thanks everybody.

Phil P