hello

rippo

hello all,

I've been looking at the forum for about a month now, but only just got my account validated so now i can post. spent most of my childhood under bedfords and around the shows so when i saw this mw for sale on milweb i just couldn't help myself!

000_0114.jpg

It was restored/ reregistered in 1986 in shropshire, but i think it spent most of the last 20 years in wales. has anyone come across it before?

It seems very original, most of the rear body and cab are original. It has the full set of data plates, lubrication, cold start, coolant draining, vin plate, air filter instruction, and even the brass plate on the rear body with the contract number on. but it doesn't have a reconditioning plate on the chassis, nor dose the engine. The engine number doesn't match the vin plate, but the plate on the engine is a bedford reconditioning plate dated 1947, it is the earlier type engine with dog legged fuel pump bolts and earlier type distributor.

I tried tracing the history, i thought with the contract number i'd have a good chance, but the rlc museum have no record. i've found a reference to the number in the bart vanderveen bedford bible! the contract was for 3500 mwd and mwc trucks. There is a picture of one of the trucks out of this batch coming off a landing craft in the book. I'm trying to find the WD number that would have been down the side on the bonnet in the bart vanderveen book it says Z4173216-6715 were allocated to this contact number, is there anyway i can narrow it down to my chassis number?

Although the previous restoration done on the bedford was a nice job, the rust is starting to show in places again, so its strip down, shot blast, and repaint ready for next year.

Edited by rippo

Judging by the photo it look quite stunning ! But if you say it needs a bit of attention I believe you .

Welcome and Great of you to join the Fun House Forum ......You may need to cover your vehicle in the club house parking lot .... oh sorry in the car park lest too many of the members get distracted by it and never reach the club house or remember to go home !

Please post as many photo's of your Bedford as I m sure many of the members who are W&P will want to see more when they return.

Welcome! Sorry the validation took so long, I'll blame Jack of course!

You are in luck because almost everybody is at W&P now so you have the opportunity to browse around without bumping into the other members every 10 seconds. It's a bit like going to a museum on Sunday morning :)

Brace yourself for the storm that will start on Saturday or Sunday though, when the tourists come back from W&P.

Thanks guys, she does photograph well!! Whoever did the restoration originally did a lovely job, plus i think its always been garaged an well looked after since. Close up the rust is just starting to bubble in a few places and the paint has started to flake, so rather than brush over it i've decided to strip it down shot blast it a repaint it in a wartime camo. Also the later bush bar, headlights, and bonnent sides are fitted. So far i've picked up a early bar and restored a set of lucas L140's for it, and the rear bodies off so i deal with the chassis.

I'm off to war a peace tomorrow, i know there's a couple of these about hopefully there'll be one there.

Edited by rippo

Hi Rippo,

Great Bedford,.......and having seen it in the flesh, it IS a good un. :)

If you remember we were speaking as I'd just got a jeep trailer on the stalls,...............and later in america's field.

Welcome to the forum. :):)

All the best,

Andy

hello andy,

I was only at war and peace as a spectator, i think your thinking of the brown one, owned by morris a dutch gentleman. His is mint and built about a year before mine, some really early stuff on his, and he's absolutley fasinating to talk to, knows his early bedford mw's inside out.

I could have screamed when i was there, i'd really like an early set of bonnet sides for the mw, the type with the mesh/grill in rather than the slots, as it has got on now. There's not alot to making them but i'd really like an original set, and i know these things are around, it's just talking to the right people. I was talking to one of the dealers and mentioned it to see if he'd come across any, and he told me a bloke had offered him some earlier, but he forgot i wanted them!!!

But he said if he walked past again he'd grab him.

If anyone knows this fella with the side panels, or indeed know of a set for sale please please please let me know.

Edited by rippo

Hi Andy,

Welcome - the more Bedfords the better......(not that I've got one!)

As a new member you will be expected to take on a number of cleaning tasks in the club house during your probation period. You will receive a set of Marigolds and a mop in due course. DO NOT put your feet on the furniture, eat the Mods' biscuits or park on the lawn until you have passed your probation. Please remember to clean the trophy cabinet in the Biscuits Committee room. Mind the plank.

MB - duty moderator

Edited by Snapper
typos

hello andy,

I was only at war and peace as a spectator, i think your thinking of the brown one, owned by morris a dutch gentleman. His is mint and built about a year before mine, some really early stuff on his, and he's absolutley fasinating to talk to, knows his early bedford mw's inside out.

I could have screamed when i was there, i'd really like an early set of bonnet sides for the mw, the type with the mesh/grill in rather than the slots, as it has got on now. There's not alot to making them but i'd really like an original set, and i know these things are around, it's just talking to the right people. I was talking to one of the dealers and mentioned it to see if he'd come across any, and he told me a bloke had offered him some earlier, but he forgot i wanted them!!!

But he said if he walked past again he'd grab him.

If anyone knows this fella with the side panels, or indeed know of a set for sale please please please let me know.

Rippo, re bonnet sides,............Pete Gain was at the show, and he DID have sides on his stall,.......couldn't tell you if they are what your looking for, but worth a call..........07831 138408

All the best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome - the more Bedfords the better......(not that I've got one!)

As a new member you will be expected to take on a number of cleaning tasks in the club house during your probation period. You will receive a set of Marigolds and a mop in due course. DO NOT put your feet on the furniture, eat the Mods' biscuits or park on the lawn until you have passed your probation. Please remember to clean the trophy cabinet in the Biscuits Committee room. Mind the plank.

MB - duty moderator

Umm,..........who you calling a new member, Mark...........:???:-D

Umm,..........who you calling a new member, Mark...........:???:-D

Put it down to post Beltring exhaustion.....as a well respected fireman I find that I need at least a week to get my return to The World in to full effect. Lights out...:sweat:

Put it down to post Beltring exhaustion.....as a well respected fireman I find that I need at least a week to get my return to The World in to full effect. Lights out...:sweat:

Know what you mean,...........started work at 5am monday;........probably started to get things right just as I was finishing at 3pm........

Great pics on w&p site.........

All the best

Andy

FIREMAN