Dodge WC51/52 in British service

Rlangham

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any photos etc of the Dodge WC51/52 in British service in the far east, such as how widespread they were, and what differences there were to normal Dodge WC's? I've seen photos of Dodge's used by 656 squadron who flew army co-operation Auster aircraft, with cut down backs and trailers used for transporting the aircraft around.

I'd love to have a Dodge WC52 (just look better with the winch!) in British far east colours one day.... maybe after university ;)

• 3 months later...

After restoring my WC51 and painting it in US Navy markings I discovered it was a British Army Dodge and was released in 1947. Hmm. Still looks better in grey or is that gray.

When we do our Poppy collecting we have a couple of guys come to see us and have a chat. They drove WC52's in the Far East. They used them as ambulances with litters fitted across the rear body. Sadly no pictures but they used the '52 rather than a '54 because of the winch and they were easier to load. They said they NEVER failed to get to a casualty where ever they were located. They once drove 30 miles through dense undergrowth using the winch and machetes. When these two have a sit in my Dodge they've got a grin from ear to ear.

Phil.

Incidentally, my maternal grandfather ran an Ordnance depot in India assembling Jeeps during the war and my uncle was a sargeant in the same place. I recently saw some photo albums of my uncles which covered his entire war and there are several pictures of Dodge WC52s as well as Valentines and other vehicles. I am trying to get copies.