Gee spot.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

IOWSteamRly127.jpg

Chris was obviously worried about what might become of the old girl.

IOWSteamRly006.jpg

3 bums looking for damage.

IOW033.jpg

IOW032.jpg

We were looking at the V drives,we had to encapsulate the timber bearer in heavy alloy plate to take the xtra torque.the drive gear ratios were changed to suit the new set up,new gears had to be made to change the ratios.Bit like a transfer box.They held up ok.

IOWSteamRly009.jpg

GRITINEYE:rofl:

OK OK,all you who pm,here they are,CUMMINS 5.7 litre.480hp each.turbo charged,after/intercooled.common rail,fly by wire (modern crap wont last 40 yrs like mine)

IOWSteamRly007.jpg

IOWSteamRly008.jpg

Gee, whatever floats your boat :rofl:Nice clean transfer box and scullery, I mean bilges!! Where's all the lub oil and diesel gone??

Not like the old days mate is it,your be pleased to know theres plenty in mine,:-D

• 3 weeks later...

:argh:gee002.jpg

Removing the rudder stocks,bodged by the company before the race.

gee003.jpg

They are bronze and the addisive they used made removal verry difficult,we had to run a wood saw between the two it took fore ever.

gee004.jpg

the shaft is bent where it fitts into the bronze blade,the bearing surface is rough lookes like they faced it up with an angle grinder.

gee005.jpg

this one is just as bad

gee006.jpg

the two marks are where they bored out the stock to take what was probably a standard size bush,they left it that thin it came thro you couldnt make it up.

gee010.jpg

Thats how much they took out:argh:

gee012.jpg

A lot of pounding went on here took all the paint off,mainly due to failure of trim tabs i suspect.

gee007.jpg

Packed ready to go back to the co who repaired them ,they can do it all again for free.

gee019.jpg

The shaft was running out of line,thanks guys did a real good job.

gee023.jpg

when i took the bolts out the flange dropped about an inch,

How will the casting be repaired? Have they got a plan?

Dont know as yet Bernard,we wait with baited breath.

• 1 month later...

The company who did the original machining replaced the parts free of charge.The work was finished at 3am thursday.it was a bit dissapointing that 40 knts was still the top speed even tho the props had 1.5 inches taken of the pitch.this did allow the port engine to make max revs.the starboard still down 150 revs.The trim tab rams were doubled up as they constantly failed.it didnt seem to help.The organisers allowed a boat from the cruiser class to transfer to Historic class the day before the race,it was only 20yrs old and plastic,this caused a lot of bad feeling especially as it won the historic class.Gee and 747 were neck and neck and shared 2nd place.

gee20newcastle.jpg

racing20historic.jpg

007.jpg

Forgot to mention they burnt 1.000 lts of diesel less than 200 miles.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

CW, you say replaced the parts, completely new castings? Or how did they do it, will it last? Pix please

Hi,they made new castings,they said,but i doubt it as we had to make a space block to fit behind them,because the shafts hit the boat.i didnt take any pics but andy may have done,i think they found some off the shelf the bolt holes were all out.i dont believe they made them,but they were free.

Often the way, try to make up for skill with cunning, pity about the plastic boat, at least you got placed.

They had a great day out,and its doubtfull it will happen again,no sponcers any more,green party and all that.So they were happy,as usuall they went to the aid of another competiter,who had lost one engine,more lost time.it was one of the front runners,it eventually limped back into cowes at 10pm.The driver of Gee was a Lady who races in P1 which is the 100mph stuff scary.

CW - you have a flipping good camera as well by the looks of it!

Your not wrong there Jack,its a Pentax spotmatic very old .fitted with a 28mm to 100mile telephoto lense .i was in the cotswolds:rofl:

Photos courtesy of the organ grinders all taxs paid.

Hey CW it's long past time you fitted a concealed torpedo tube to deal with these plastic tubs.:-D

Hi ,your not wrong there,what a b....y liberty.The firm that made the props,are now saying he should have three blade now.muppets.i said this 6 mnths ago i told Richard.i said he would try and sell him 4 blade and not to listen,this is one of those things where computors cant help,its all down to past experience and trialls.i just heard the 747 boat is now on its way back to the south of France where it lives,those guys,all pilots,hence the 747,some people live the life of riley,who was this riley bloke?anyone know.CW.