WARD LE FRANCE on A3 Broke.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Just spotted on A3 near Hindhead broken down Ward,i wander who?

Watch out for Ward transfer box rebuild.:-D

The rumors are true, it was I. Truck started making a funny noise (more like a horrendous banging....) from the transmission, so i pulled over to prevent any further damage. unfortunately my phone (despite being fully charged before departure, and being switched off most of the weekend) decided to die, so big thank you to Mike for getting a recovery truck sorted.

Also thank you to Cat and Patweazle for pulling over to let me use their phone, and waiting with me till the recovery guy showed up.

On the plus side, we carry an emergency tea making kit on board for such situations, so sense of humour faliure was not as bad as it could have been.

Hi guys,

Richard - Not the best timing eh! I'm hoping to get it done before then but it'll depend what I find when I strip it down tonight...

Cat and Pat - many thanks for stopping and for lending Vince your 'phone. I'm sure the moral support was very welcome!

Joris - I know what you mean - I would have almost been more disappointed if it had been Mark's after all the work that's gone into it. Mark has said I can use his 'spare' transfer box if necessary but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

It was just one of those things that happens to old trucks which are still worked hard and it's not the end of the world. No one got hurt and it wasn't too far away. I'll leave the diagnostics 'til I've found out what's actually wrong but it still drives so I'm hoping it's just a bearing. RAC Commercial were very professional and called back when they said they would. Not looking forward to the bill though :cry:.

- Mike

Don't get me wrong but I'm glad it wasn't Mark's WLF!

Probably not as glad as Mark himself!! :)

Sorry to hear the bad news Mike - hope it's something you can easily sort before the show. The law of Murphy says it had to happen now and not on the way home from W&P I guess!!!

C.O.V.E.S. Coulsdon Old Vehicle &Enginnering society, Gordon who is head shed has a thing about railways, to the point they have bought a station. The yard is also home to various militarys, fire engines and buses. You'd love the place. Mike's WLF used to live there.

Both engines in steam over the weekend were the ones formerly at the Beverly museum. The IOW railway have put them both back in service and the army has recently officially handed over ownership of them to the railway, along with a diesel loco. They are both austerity designs and are virtually identical. (See http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk latest news).

Gordon has nothing to do with my involvement in the railway. My dad has been a member since the Wight locomotive society first formed, and I have been going there since birth. I just decided to volunteer to help out (now being a railway fitter as a job) this weekend (as i was there with the WLF), and the shovel and hat were thrust at me for the purposes of that picture.

I spent saturday being a cleaner, then dismantling steam locomotives in the works (just like being at work!), and was given some basic instruction on locomotive firing on Sunday. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye!

Edited by Grasshopper

Are you saying that picture was set up,we dont believe that do we,you wait till i put the video on:rofl:

Never mind holding a bl--dy shovel - he needs to be holding a spanner.

Sorry for Mike but no worries - we at WLF Towers will have the thing sorted and back to gether come War and Peace.

I have a transfer box on the spare Ward so myself and the tall one + the short one will be getting down to it - again.

I know how Mike feels - obviously - but he is always upbeat about these things so no problems. Should have it sorted by Sunday evening and the tall ones truck will line up at WLF Towers with the other two Wards.

See you at War and Peace.

Markheliops

Well it's definitely the transfer box: I ran it with the prop off and the noise from the box was a horrendous bumping, scraping, rolling, banging sort of cacophany. No wonder Shortly refused to drive it any further!

I started the strip-down last night and hope to get the box out tonight if we do a late one. We'll then be off to pillage from Mark's spares truck on Thurs evening with a view to re-fitting mine on Sunday.

It never rains but it pours...

- Mike

Well. I'm just back after a long evening of transfer box removal. What a b@stard job! It took 4 of us an hour to get it out from the moment the last fixing bolt was removed. However it came out safely and relatively under control.

We took the main casing cover off and the problem was immediately obvious: the rear bearing on the input shaft has completely decomposed. There was a mounting plate on the rear of the box which was totally inaccessible and invisible from above or below and the six securing bolts were all finger tight and the plate was loose. This is where all the oil had been leaking from and I imagine the regular loss of oil took its toll on this bearing, which is at the highest point in the box and therefore receives the least splash fed oil. All of the rollers from the bearing have passed through the gear train but remarkably all the gear teeth are intact and undamaged. The same cannot be said for the rollers! I have the parts book so tomorrow morning I'll call Orbic bearings and see if they can help.

The plan is to replace all of the bearings in the transfer box and re-install it. This is my preferred option at the moment as it was what I'd intended to do this winter anyway and the one from the scrap truck is an unknown quantity so could be just as bad. The final decision will depend on the availability of the bearings.

Photos tomorrow.

Still hoping to make it to W&P...

- Mike