Bedford MK/MJ

chevpol

Can you downrate a cart by cutting part way through the wooden spokes? :???

Could be worth trying, have you got a saw handy:-D

I seem to remember someone downrated a MK series by removing the helper springs from the rear springs - or did they cut the helper spring brackets off?? Thought I'd read it on the forum way back :confused: Still seems a bit drastic, must be an easier way.

Both methods have been used in the past but requirements seem to vary at the discretion of the Test Station which was the reason I suggested checking locally.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Yes check locally,at the one you intend to use.Over the years i have found that the authorities give out as much misleading info as some of the people on this forum.

Did you really have to mention the theme tune:argh:now its on replay in my head interspersed with visions of a madly pedalling cyclist and a tank:-D

If I owned Steptoe's yard at the moment I'd be making a fortune £96 for a scrap Metro. As for horse and cart, No! I'll ride 'em but driving has always scared me. Incedentally those plates, that is how the lorries used to be downed, but I thought that had been stopped. They bolt just in front of rear springs to take out the spring assister mounts. Though about twenty years ago the last one had to have the plates contiuously welded in place. Before that as you say take 'em off and paint yellow over where the mounts would have been. Ah the dear old '70s

Get the correct Licence,now theres a novel idea.:rofl:

But not always the easiest I fear!! It would be a lot easier for me to get something like a TM to transport the Stalwart -but having epilepsy means I cannot have any of my HGV or PSV categories back. Ever.

As an aside - it used to a laugh watching the faces of delivery drivers when I used to design shipping/receiving facilities for Ford.

They all thought I couldn't drive because someone had to drop me off at the plant in question - until the time they said a loading or shipping dock was inaccessible and I jumped in the cab and slotted the vehicle in without a problem - including the first of the 40 tonne Hi-Cubes to be used on UK roads!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

if you downrate a mk/mj to 7.5 tonnes, what can you legally carry and or tow to stay within the law?

Mark

My MJ is downrated to 7490 kgs. The plated Gross Train Weight is now 10990 kgs, so it can tow a trailer weighing up to 3500 kgs. However, to drive it with such a trailer would require a C+E licence or a C1+E. With just a C1 licence you would be restricted to a trailer weight of 750 kgs. The facts are here :- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Andy.

Possibly :-D Think it's just the usual Withams policy of 'We really don't want to have to take this back with us if we can possibly find somebody to offload it onto without actually losing too much on the deal' . Saw a lad doing a pretty demon deal on a nice green goddess they had there last year .