Military Tilley lamps

Tony B

Question

21 answers to this question

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

A bit more exciting the man sez,they certanly add to the contents of your trousers when they flare up if you try to rush them when there cold.

I've had a few military ones. They're nearly always dated and marked with the crows foot /|\ Last one i had was a rather spiffing 1943 one before i decided they weren't nearly dangerous enough and transferred my preference to the infinately more volatile and unstable Colemans petrol lamps...Pah the Tilley is a mere toy!

Try the Colemans 'Sun in the Night' model guaranteed to raise the temperaure... and a mushroom cloud should the startup go to pot! Burning pressurised petrol... magic!

Or the Colemans 'Vehicular model' double burner stove (a flame thrower and demolition bomb combination) guaranteed to warm beans and flush out dug in enemy positions with equal vigour.

Banish the the cold and the dark.. oh and eyebrows and fingertips come to that!

Why are camping stoves and lamps so addictive... and such fun?

I've had a few military ones. They're nearly always dated and marked with the crows foot /|\ Last one i had was a rather spiffing 1943 one before i decided they weren't nearly dangerous enough and transferred my preference to the infinately more volatile and unstable Colemans petrol lamps...Pah the Tilley is a mere toy!

Try the Colemans 'Sun in the Night' model guaranteed to raise the temperaure... and a mushroom cloud should the startup go to pot! Burning pressurised petrol... magic!

Or the Colemans 'Vehicular model' double burner stove (a flame thrower and demolition bomb combination) guaranteed to warm beans and flush out dug in enemy positions with equal vigour.

Banish the the cold and the dark.. oh and eyebrows and fingertips come to that!

Why are camping stoves and lamps so addictive... and such fun?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Thanks mate needed that,crap day.

But they are addictive

My brothers back yard looks like the tilley spares department... he's got about 15 of them and bits, and boxes of bits, and bits of boxes! Can't get enough! I bought another colemans yesterday at an auto jumble... couldn't just leave it there... it had about £70 worth of petrol in it!!!

Only got a one day pass.

What's the difference between a Tilley lamp and a Hurricane lamp?

Dont think its pressurised,just got a wick,dunno.what day?

Hurricane lamps are for wimps, they are just parrafin candles. The wick dips in the fuel burns unprssurised. the Pressure lamp now, alchemy and arson all mixed up. First preheat burner tube with meths, then pressurise tank, result is parrafin vapourisise up the burner tube, gets to jet as a vapour and is burned contained within a mantle, that is chemically treated cotton when heated they flourese adding to the light output. Perfectly safe if handled properly, just like dynamite. :-D