Another Spartan

ratty

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done your majesty you truly are a certifiable saddo!

Photo was pre W&P, however study it well as this is how I expect you to replace my ropes in future or there will be no more of your kinky bondage type shenanigans using my apparatus.

1. Baz. I am not in the least surprised your lass threw a fit at the state of your denims first time she saw them dirty. I always remember you as an oil/grease magnet whilst wearing denims.

2. Nice to see the authentic fire extinguisher on the Ferret. I still cannot believe the needs of Health and Safety to make every fire extinguisher on the planet red overrides the needs of military personnel not to make themselves targets.

They changed them all red with strip of colour to mark contents, now they seem to have gone back to colour of contents with red stipe. I go by the proffesional view I've been told over and over, 'If you need a fire extingusher, use it to breack a window and get out'.

They changed them all red with strip of colour to mark contents, now they seem to have gone back to colour of contents with red stipe. I go by the proffesional view I've been told over and over, 'If you need a fire extingusher, use it to breack a window and get out'.

I can look forward in my role as office fire warden to another change of fire extinguishers then.

And keeping the thread on topic.

The second time I was struck by lightning (the first being whilst in the shower aged about 11 in the Andes of Central Colombia), I was commanding a Spartan in 1981. The exercise had been swelteringly hot and the exercise area around Bielefeld was thick with dust. I was chasing my section commander along a road when I watched the Western Horizon turn black and in minutes we went from blistering heat to torrential rain.

As I urged my driver (who was sadly killed by a sniper in 2007 while manning an OP in Baghdad) not to spare the horse-powers, there was the most unnerving clanging in my ears. I eased the velcro strips to pull the earpieces into the bonedome and off my ears, then realised the clanging was from OUTSIDE of my helmet. Nobody in my experience had ever heard a CVR(T) engine fire alarm go off before then. I ordered Swanny to pull over and stop, remotely operated the engine fire extinguisher (handy to my right hand on the blukhead between cabin and engine) and we baled out.

We were drenched in seconds (we didn't stay dry driving and commanding anyway) before Two Two Alpha backed up and his gunner (who was watching backwards in accordance with good convoy drill on roads) informed me that he had seen lightning strike the vehicle.