Siezed engine

Skin

Hello,would all you mechanics out there please advise me on unsiezing a Saracen engine.I am a mechanic but would like to welcome a few diffrent opinions. The vehicle has stood in a museum for the last 25 years plugs in, in the dry, oil in tank.A gallon of derv has been put into the bores a few months ago. Shall I try and free it and how,then attempt to start or should I strip the head off to start with?

Thanks Paul.

Can you get a handcrank into the engine on a Saracen, try and give it a turn over bit by bit until it starts to feel free, preferably with the plugs out, and try some oil in with the derv, if it starts moving, turn it with the starter a good number of times, and get some oil around the engine, then connect all the plugs up make sure its all gapped right and get it started!

OH Happy Days! In my childhood I worked for Avation Jersey for a short while. Got told I had to turn all the standing engines a hundred times a day by hand to stop them seizing. If it has sat in diseil , I'd then try the hot oil trick without plugs and turn it over, then take the head off.

My Ferret had sat for a long time before I got it. It didn't turn over so sprayed WD40 down the bores for a couple of days, then tried turning it over again. When it was free I cleaned the points, put some fuel in it and away it went. Never had a problem since.

Chris

I have a socket which fits that nut, they are easy enough to get hold of.

King Dick do some big sockets. I've just bought some from an online retailer called Lawson-HIS. The bonus is they still do big sockets in whitworth sizes, which seem to have been dropped by most companies.

• 1 month later...

Just spotted this posting. Diesel and parrafin 50:50 shifts most things that are stuck from standing. Even 1400x20 tyres that have been on 20 years give in to it. When you have got it free DON'T fire it up or attempt to. Drain the oil and diesel/parrafin mix out of the sump. Pour some fresh oil in to the sump and prime the oil filter. The advantage of pouring in fresh oil is it gets on the cam lobes. It is possible to destroy them if they are dry. Crank the engine over on the starter for no more than 30 seconds without the plugs in and then wait a couple of minutes before you do it again. Starter motors need a little love to!! Make sure you have got oil pressure a spark and fuel. Stick the plugs in and go for it. Don't be suprised if the exhaust starts to blow. All the acid etc mixed with condensation ain't good for steel. Water leaks are common when vehicles have stood for a while. We have just got a 1946 Guy Vixant running. The Meadows petrol engine last ran in 1959. It fired up after 20 minutes of careful preperation and ran perfectly. Even the dynamo charged. Best of luck.

Phil P