Hot what is it

Mark

My guess was M47 in Vietnam (mainly because I cannot honestly remember there being a bulge in the turret wall of the M48 to cater for the hatch on the turret LHS as we see it).

I'd be prepared to bet that flame tanks in Vietnam were M47s because, having developed a flame tank on an M47 chassis, there wouldn't be a great deal of loss of function and no need to prepare a flame kit for the M48, which would primarily be a gun tank (though I am having serious doubts about whether the Americans even took M48s to Vietnam, when I'd guess the M60 was available).

And I cannot recall ever seeing M47s / M48s in Korea. But as usual, I haven't bothered checking so it's all wild conjecture.

Curiously, shortly after posting my previous yesterday, a colleague and I looked at his Big Book Of Pictures of Tanks or whatever it was called and I explained some of the technical errors and minutiae to him, where we found an M48 and compared the turret bulge with the pic above and it would appear I was right. There is a tiny amount of turret bulge to accommodate the hatch on the left-hand side of the M48, but in this pic the bulge goes practically to the turret ring.