Breaking News - M5 found

Jack

Blimey!

I'da thought it more likely it was shoved into a shell crater or bomb crater which was then filled in. Seems an awfully big hole to dig to bury something that could be dragged away? You wouldn't want to lift it out a hole though.

Wonder if they'll charge the US Army with 60 years of unpaid 'Pay and Display'

supposedly they dumped a huge pile of American soft skin and armour in Gloucester at the end of the war - dug a hole next to the railway at St Oswalds and dumped it all.

Should also mention all the stuff jettisoned off aircraft carrier flight decks into beaufort's Dyke too - all shipped out of cairnryan. I believe a few fully laden ships were scuttled too after the war.

Blimey!

I'da thought it more likely it was shoved into a shell crater or bomb crater which was then filled in. Seems an awfully big hole to dig to bury something that could be dragged away? You wouldn't want to lift it out a hole though.

The Churchill MkIV AVRE at Graye-sur-Mer, Normandy, laid buried under a road until 1976. Remains of a Tiger tank were recovered from under a French road not too long ago. Makes you wonder how many tanks are still buried right under your car's tyres?!?!?

H.

All Stuarts were known as Honeys in the British Army, this is supposed to have come about after the first Stuarts were received by the Eighth Army in the Western Desert. A tank commander on being asked for his opinion of the new vehicle is reputed to have replied 'She's a honey' and the name stuck.