June 4th 1944

Joris

Dorset was full of men, vehicles and munitions loading and waiting to load at Weymouth and Portland. The Rangers taking Point Du Hoc were already loaded and Col. James Earl Rudder was leading. He wasn't supposed to be in that role but the Rangers CO got totally drunk the night before and was 'relieved' of his command........

The Dorset villages were soon to be empty and the maintenance battalions were moving in to clear up the litter left behind by the troops. In Dorchester, every street, lane and drive were full of armour and the car park at the top of town was a fuel dump.

We should also be giving some thought to the X Men and the resistance and the civilians.....

We should also be giving some thought to the X Men and the resistance and the civilians....

... and my late uncle, encamped on the very land where I now sit at Hursley near Winchester as he and 25 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment RA prepared for their drive up an invasion beach in a year (on 10 July 1943 they landed on the south coast of Sicily; on 3 September the crossed the Straits of Medina to land at Regio Calabria; his battery (82 Bty) sailed from Southampton on 5 June 1944 to support the initial landings.

Also to remember the D-Day Dodgers who liberated Rome on 4 June 1944.

That's right. Our dear beloved Mark Clark scuppered the grand scheme and allowed 300,000 Germans to escape so he could take the Eternal City. I wonder how serious he was when he ordered on his US soldiers to fire on any British troops entering the city? Allies from a host of nations suffered for his immense vanity, not least the United States itself. But he was a brave man and a thoughtful soldier and it's totally wrong to assume that many of his colleagues - British and American were not just as vainglorious and ambitious. They were pop stars of their time in a sense.

Barnes

Also to remember the D-Day Dodgers who liberated Rome on 4 June 1944.

Funny enough, I spent 30 mins this morning looking for a quote on this for Quote of the Day by Monty or Churchill..........but couldn't so gave up :cry: