Unusual French WW1 Memorial

I came across this in a tiny illage on the Isle de Re, off La Rochelle, called Le Bois.

As I entered the square I thought a calamity had befallen the memorial, but couldn't make it out. Then it became clear.

Like it or not (and that is not the point), do you not agree it is quite stunning, and a wonderful tribute?

Le Bois 01.JPG

Le Bois 02.JPG

Le Bois 04.JPG

That is impressive. I came across (i think in ATB) photos of a similar one from WW1. But when the Germans arrived in WW2 they blew it up. Certainly, it does not mince words. We should have some like that in the UK, but no doubt there would be a lot of protests including the RSPB.

Tim (too)

The War memorial in Coningsby is not a cross but a truncated column. ( to signify I believe lives cut short).

When the Commitee deciding the best kept village contest saw the truncated monument, they decided that if the villagers couldn't be bothered to repair their "broken" war memorial then they didn't deserve to win the competition....

Err????

The Germans destroyed many memorials they took offence to, sometimes becasue of the eagles and sometimes because they felt like it. The great monument on the mole in Zeebrugge was blown up amonst others. I presume this is a post WW2 memorial, because it would not have survived the occupation.

Not everywhere. They didn't allow any work at many Great War cemeteries. But to be fair they usually gave decent burials to allied dead. However at Le Paradis I met a man who kept an RAF crew buried in his back yard without telling the Germans because they were getting nasty about Terrorfleigers. He visits them every day in the CWGC plot.