registraton marks

devonblacksmith

Question

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Mike the small compressor on the front end of the trailer is a "type L compressor set", originally for all types of tyres but using wet air in aircraft tyres was stopped before I joined, dry air or nitrogen being the order of the day; thanks for sharing the shots of the rig.

Returning to Your Matador :

The Signals Shell Type P was availible in 3 forms; namely Mk1,2 & 3.

See the attached description.

Edited by ted angus
spelling !!

Digging through all the different leafs I have, it may be that only the RVT 550 MK1 utilized the Signals Shell Type P MK2; certainly that is the only example I have a leaf for.

On both the Matador and Bedford SLC chassis's, the Signals Shell type P MK3 carried various RVTs all of which were power generators of various ratings and configerations.

attached are; the description leaf and illustration leaf from the Data Book of RAF MT vehicles for yours i.e. RVT 550 MK1

RVT 550 description.jpg

RVT 550 illustration MT Data book.jpg

Mike, next here is both description and illustration from The Data Book Of RAF MT vehicles of your RVT 550 MK1 after conversion. Both from the illustration and description you will see there were numerous changes.

The compressor was a must as all hand drills and powere riveters used on aircraft in -situ work are compressed air driven for safety reasons.

Note the windows.

Matador; Truck Van, Aircraft Rectification. description.jpg

Truck,Van, Aircraft Rectification. illustration.jpg

MIKE Fantastic pic that would make a great model join the queue on my order books !! trouble is I have the village gala in 2 weeks and have got to get my ex AFS lwb Gipsy up and running and my 1943 ex ARMY trailer pump sorted post winter lay up so models will be on the back burner now til next winter.

I have another MAT leaf the steel dropside version tractor used by the RAF on towing duties with units such as 2 MT I will try and scan tonight

As I am the new boy on the block ( I like that title better than a knackered old retired WO !! ) would it be prudent to copy my MAT attachments to the MAT gallery ??

TED

10-04-2008204000.jpg

What do you make of the Mat on the left in this shot. It is the only one I have seen with what appears to be connectors on the front of the box. It seems a difficult place to get to plug anything in inless you go through the Cupola..It appears to have a grill or vent in the lower front dropside, so is it an Aircraft rectification van also. Not enough of it shows to know if there are added windows. Iam told this is Biggin Hill

Edited by antarmike

MIKE Fantastic pic that would make a great model join the queue on my order books !! trouble is I have the village gala in 2 weeks and have got to get my ex AFS lwb Gipsy up and running and my 1943 ex ARMY trailer pump sorted post winter lay up so models will be on the back burner now til next winter.

I have another MAT leaf the steel dropside version tractor used by the RAF on towing duties with units such as 2 MT I will try and scan tonight

As I am the new boy on the block ( I like that title better than a knackered old retired WO !! ) would it be prudent to copy my MAT attachments to the MAT gallery ??

TED

YOU GOT A M15 GIPSY!!!!:shocked::nut::nut::nut::banana:

Sure Have see attached. The Brockhouse next to it is not mine. When I left the RAF I was after an ex Army vehicle to tow my ex Army pump, unfortunately my back is now knackered -an accident nearly 30 years ago caught up with me-- so climbing into a high cab put pay to that, i was on the brink of buying an MC C8 .

However, I have always been interested in the AFS/NFS/CD /PMC etc in addition to military vehicles so when I saw the gipsy for sale i bought it unseen from a chap in Kent and had it transported up to sunny jockland. It took nearly 3 solid years to restore, some days working 10 hrs a day or till the pain killers stopped working!

TEd

16.920 FUW ex Croydon LFB AFS in preservation(Ted Angus).jpg

10-04-2008204000.jpg

What do you make of the Mat on the left in this shot. It is the only one I have seen with what appears to be connectors on the front of the box. It seems a difficult place to get to plug anything in inless you go through the Cupola..It appears to have a grill or vent in the lower front dropside, so is it an Aircraft rectification van also. Not enough of it shows to know if there are added windows. Iam told this is Biggin Hill

Mike, my best guess at the moment is an RVT 552 MK 2, I believe both the 550 & 552 had those inset panels/ grill in the forward lower body.

Re the outlets above the cab, I have a clear front 3/4 picture of an RVT 552 MK 1 which was on a Bedford SLC and it had an identical set of outlets on the front of the body but lower down. I am pretty sure they were a 240v low amperage tap for things such as tent lighting etc. Remember the guys manning the radar convoys these trucks were originally designed to support, relied on tentage for living accomodation.

The RVT 552 MK2 mounted on a MAT had the same pair if generators as the 552 MK1 but the switch gear was a bit more complex with the facility to run the pair as a single outlet. Possibly in the latter setup it was easier to run the 240v taps through the body higher up ??

finally if you compare the portion of the vehicle which can be seen with your's in RN service, I feel sure we would be able to see the at least one side window if it was an aircraft Rects Van as the windows are very high.

So my conclusion at the moment is an RVT 552 MK2.

I will have a dig for more RVT piccies and see what comes up

TED

Thanks to all for your help I have just reseaved the card for 78 AA 46 but its not my landy chassis no is later than mine, I have also receved information on the Build date: 24 November 1961

Specification: home market

Colour: Bronze Green

Despatched: 18 December 1961 to Fighting Vehicle Research and Development Establishment, Chertsey

Is there any way I can find out more from this do all landeys go there first or?

A bit head scratching, its an RAF vehicle so the contract would have called for RAF Blue/Grey not Bronze Green. Normally only trials vehicles would go to chertsey. It may have gone there for the guys to do a Maintenance appraisal on it then a desicion is made whether or not existing maintenance methods and publications will suffice for the vehicle and its batch/contract or should new procedures /publications be required. What is your chassis number and is there a contract number on a data plate ?

TED

Much head scratching here. You seem to be saying in one post it is 78 AA 46, then you are saying it isn't.

Where does your build date come from. Where is you info that it went to FVRDE come from. Something seems wrong somewhere or have I got the wrong end of the stick.

I have had it suggested that the RAF did re-issue serial numbers to new vehicles, but I am confused. I beleive the R.N. were worst for this practice.

A mate of mine sent of to RLC museum the Service number (from the brass service plate on the chassis)of his newly aquired Milie MkIII only to get back a record card for a motorbike of the same serial number.

He questioned the info and was sent the record card for a Millie of the same serial number as the motorbike. Surely this should not happen.

Edited by antarmike

Incidentally parts of my RAF Antar are Deep Bronze green ubder the Blue grey. It does however share some components with the Army Mk3 and 3A Antars and I beleive Thorneycroft were drawing from stores, prepainted parts that were being held as spares for the Army vehicles, to use on my Antar when it was built.

my chassis number is 24101090a and there is no contract number on a data plate,The no 77 AA 46 was on the base of the drivers seat,But when the card came for this land rover it was not the same chassis no so it isn't 77 AA 46.The build date and dispatched to FVRDE info came from the land rover build data held at the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Archive Department Heritage Motor Centre Banbury Road Gaydon hope this clarifies things.

You'll see from the Matadors Record Card that it was built by Crossley in 1953, but was passed from MU to MU as a stored vehicle until 1975.

It was not allocated to a unit until 1975, and then it went to the R.N. who only had it 10 years before disposal, It had less than 2000 miles on the clock when I bought it.

The Antar was even shorter in service. New to the Air Ministry, ACB in 1961, by 1963 it went to MPBW where it gained the FUL reg.

Previsously it had been 40 AT 81. The AT series was mainly Airfield construction equipment, Road roller, Tarmac layers etc.

The Trailer I have dates from the 1950's and was originally paired with one of the RAF's 8 Petrol Antars (AN Series). It is badged as a Trailer, Plant Transporter, 50 Tons.

Two such trailers were converted to carry out the 70 ton plate load bearing test. MY Antar had one trailer the other was paired to the only petrol Antar the RAF retained. Seven of the 8 Transferred with ZB serial to the Army.

The Trailer carried 50 ton of ballast weights and was fitted with a Hydraulic ram that worked downwards onto the runway to lift the loaded trailer (70 Tons) in the air.

Initially a 26" dia steel plate spread this load, but in a series of tests, the plate was gradually reduced to a 9" dia plate.

Two arms swung out from the trailer, carrying a series of Dial test indicators, that rested on the runway. Over time the trailer deflected the tarmac and sunk. The DTI's plotted how the runway curved, and enabled the boffins to assess the strength of the runway.

It went from MPBW tp PSA and ended up at TPS Consult, (part of Tarmac group) spending it's entire working life testing runways.

It has travelled repeatedly to all the military airfields in Britain (including the American ran airfields) (and as well as civil Airports), been round Holland, Germany, landed on LST on the beach on the outer Hebrides. It has been to Malta, Gibraltar and Cyprus. Circa 1971/2 it went to Antigua by ship.

It has I believe 144,000 miles on the clock

Through the whole of it's life it was based at RAF Cardington, and for most of the time the RAF's M.T. section maintained it (and even painted it Blue Grey on about 6 occassions)

That is some seriously detailed and very interesting history.

I have had a letter from DVLA Bristol querying my claimed year of manufacture for my Eager Beaver.

I know that it was first registered by the MoD on 12th April 1973. DE&S sent me the letter confirming this and gave me some history as well. The history shows that it speant it's military life in Airborne squadrons.

The military registration number (quote from DE&S!) is 05FW36 and the chassis/serial number is 438.

Is there anyone who may be able to confirm the date and year of manufacture? I am hoping to prove it is 1972 for obvious reasons.

It has definately been used in deep water - probably sea-water as all the brake cylinders and full of serious rust and beyond economical repair. New ones on the way I am happy to say.

A mate of mine sent of to RLC museum the Service number (from the brass service plate on the chassis)of his newly aquired Milie MkIII only to get back a record card for a motorbike of the same serial number.

He questioned the info and was sent the record card for a Millie of the same serial number as the motorbike. Surely this should not happen.

DVLA have been known to make this error as well. There are several vehicles running around with the same registration number as another vehicle.

No-one will ever have the same as my Tombraider though - that number was made up by a criminal in Glasgow but because I had had it for so long Swansea have let me keep it:D

I have had a letter from DVLA Bristol querying my claimed year of manufacture for my Eager Beaver.

I know that it was first registered by the MoD on 12th April 1973. DE&S sent me the letter confirming this and gave me some history as well. The history shows that it speant it's military life in Airborne squadrons.

The military registration number (quote from DE&S!) is 05FW36 and the chassis/serial number is 438.

Is there anyone who may be able to confirm the date and year of manufacture? I am hoping to prove it is 1972 for obvious reasons.

It has definately been used in deep water - probably sea-water as all the brake cylinders and full of serious rust and beyond economical repair. New ones on the way I am happy to say.

Form INF 34 says " (If the V5C indicates that the vehicle was registered from 1 January 1973 up to and including 7 January 1973, we will let you register

it as a historic vehicle, based on the assumption that the vehicle would have been made in the previous year).

Not much help, but I put it up because some 1973 vehicles do get Historic Taxation.