Battlefield views

It's great to see these places on pictures, but I sure am glad I went over to this place last october. In real life it's even more impressive.

Did not see the Thiepval woods but I did see the outline of the German trenches as they had just ploughed the fields.

Last one from Pop. This is the Reverend PCB 'Tubby' Clayton who founded Talbot house with his chum Neville Talbot. When I was a kid I joined the 1st City of London (Lord Mayor's Own) scouts, and it was based in Talkbot House at Tower Hill. Tubby Clayton died the same year and lived there in the apartments above the scout hall which was in the basement. It is now a wine bar. There is a blue plaque on the wall outside in memory of Tubby. I don't remember seeing him.

14_04_2008 - 17.00.35 - NGNLIBRARYSUN - Talbot_Hse_STD006.jpg

Edited by Snapper

Two cemeteries. Ovillers from the Albert-Bapaume road. I haven't been to the actual cemetery. The other one is Owl Trench, one of the little places in the north of the battlefield. If memory serves, the graves are all from 1917.

21_12_2007 - 14.39.45 - NGNLIBRARYSUN - Ovillers_CWGC__4_.jpg

21_12_2007 - 14.40.35 - NGNLIBRARYSUN - Owl_Trench.jpg

more....On the left are the remains of the huge German bunker in Rossignol Wood which made a mess of the British diversionary attack on 1st July. The cemetery on the left is Contay, which in the autumn is picturesque to say the very least.

20_12_2007 - 13.53.55 - NGNLIBRARYSUN - Rossignol_Wood__4_.jpg

27_03_2008 - 16.39.53 - NGNLIBRARYSUN - Contay_CWGC__12_.jpg