Landrover Defender

Kasper

Question

Hi again. Basically i am looking to purchase an ex MOD Landrover Defender. It will be used mainly as a recreational vehicle at weekends for when i work at Coalhouse Fort. I've looked at series 1-3 and also the lightweights. I would prefer a diesel and also a hardtop but other than that i'm pretty open to the various versions.

I would really appreciate the help of the members on here in giving me advice on what to look out for though. As in common faults, types, defects etc. I'm probably looking at the bottom of the market around the 3-4k area so i guess whatever i get will need some work done to it.

Look foward to hearing your suggestions.

Kieron

What you need is an Iltis:whistle:

It does need some work, true. But it's half the cost or more than a Land Rover, has four proper seats and runs forever. I just happen to know of one that needs a new home in Southend of Sea......

worth a try!

Mb

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hi again. Basically i am looking to purchase an ex MOD Landrover Defender. Kieron

IF you dont need the room x mil non turbo diesel 90,dont go for these exotic oddballs you have to ask why they take so long to sell:rofl:

Look foward to hearing your suggestions.

Don't get one that was with the Marines. All that driving through the salty sea isn't good for a Rover chassis.

(See - wasn't I a good boy? No mention of webbed-feet anywhere in that post)

Don't get one that was with the Marines. All that driving through the salty sea isn't good for a Rover chassis.

(See - wasn't I a good boy? No mention of webbed-feet anywhere in that post)

Gareth,

Mines still got the original chassis 17 years on. :pfrt:

Nige

Just to be dull - here's a sensible answer!

For 3-4K you are looking at a reasonable condition early to mid 90's Defender. The military ones still had the 2.5NAD engine - nothing wrong with it but they are going to seem really slow and noisy!

The suspension is coil springs which are a vast improvement over the series 3's which have leaf springs. You could probably pick up a civvy one with a 200tdi for the same money and paint it green, most people wouldn't know the difference and it's cheap and easy to disguise the difference!

Only trouble with them is, there are faaaaasands of them out there. Lightweights, on the other hand, are much rarer than Defenders (and jeeps!) and good fun too. You could get a superb one for your sort of budget!

Thanks very much for your help guys. You have certainly given me some stuff to think about. I was thinking of trying to get a decent civvy and painting it but i thought i might get lynched for saying that? Ha!

I certainly don't want to end up with something that has more oil leaks than a Russian pipeline!

Lightweight is correct,on your budget a decent 200tdi 90 is definitely the way to go. I had hesitated to to post previously as you had

specified military but as he says a coat of paint and a few minor changes and who will notice.

Andy, or you on a percentage??? I think we sold the Iltis very well. Shame about all those Land Rovers....

Good man.

MB

Always liked the look of these vehicles,..........there just arn't that many about,.....well, in this neck of the woods, anyways.

Depends really what you want. For your budget you could get a nice true military land rover for show, and a road worthy hack about for work. I know a nice one, it's blue tax exempt but fitted with a 90 defender engine and box. MOT with it, all I need is to put a battery in £500 . :n00b:

I'm surprised it hasn't gone too, reminds me of a Land Rover I had for sale at one time, loads of tyre kickers, stuck for ages, then one Sunday came home from a days laning to find 3 messages on the answering machine all willing to pay asking price, sold to first caller over phone. One of the other two was so desperate I had to go out and find another vehicle for him! Made a b....y good profit though:-D

Is there anything in particular i should look out for though. Certain areas that rust or wear? Things to steer clear off so to speak. See one that i thought was perfect the other day until i found out it had a V8 Automatic engine in it. Put me off.

I'm surprised it hasn't gone too, reminds me of a Land Rover I had for sale at one time, loads of tyre kickers, stuck for ages, then one Sunday came home from a days laning to find 3 messages on the answering machine all willing to pay asking price, sold to first caller over phone. One of the other two was so desperate I had to go out and find another vehicle for him! Made a b....y good profit though:-D

I think it's revenge for something I did or didn't do in a past life, or even in this one. There is a blond in Bromley who may be sticking pins in an effigy of me. I didn't mean to drag dogpoo on her mum's carpet. It was 1984.

I did have a buyer lined up but he got cold feet on the appointed weekend. Not impressed. C'est la vie.

MB

I think it's revenge for something I did or didn't do in a past life, or even in this one. There is a blond in Bromley who may be sticking pins in an effigy of me. I didn't mean to drag dogpoo on her mum's carpet. It was 1984.

I did have a buyer lined up but he got cold feet on the appointed weekend. Not impressed. C'est la vie.

MB

Stick it on HMVF video ad's,.......:-D Never know; :)

Just to be dull - here's a sensible answer!

For 3-4K you are looking at a reasonable condition early to mid 90's Defender. The military ones still had the 2.5NAD engine - nothing wrong with it but they are going to seem really slow and noisy!

The suspension is coil springs which are a vast improvement over the series 3's which have leaf springs. You could probably pick up a civvy one with a 200tdi for the same money and paint it green, most people wouldn't know the difference and it's cheap and easy to disguise the difference!

Only trouble with them is, there are faaaaasands of them out there. Lightweights, on the other hand, are much rarer than Defenders (and jeeps!) and good fun too. You could get a superb one for your sort of budget!

That seems like the thin end of the wedge, before you know it people will be painting stars on Hotchkiss bonnets and hanging WW2 jerry cans off the back :evil:

Is there anything in particular i should look out for though. Certain areas that rust or wear? Things to steer clear off so to speak. See one that i thought was perfect the other day until i found out it had a V8 Automatic engine in it. Put me off.

Oh god - where to start! I'll do the easy bits and leave the rest to the experts!

The body panels are aluminium so not a problem. The chassis and the bulkhead between you and the engine aren't. The rear cross-member is particularly expensive to replace - especially with a 110

If the bulkhead is on it's way out, it tends to go in the footwells and in the bottom corner of the windscreen on the panel where the front vents are. These bits aren't particularly difficult to sort out, replacement footwells and corners are relatively cheap and easy to obtain - but if they are rusty, it could be indicative of something nastier lurking! All the panels on a Landy line up to the bulkhead - you don't wanna be replacing the whole thing.

Defender doors have ally skins, but steel frames - if the bottom edges are crumbling, a replacement door is going to be big bucks, they're rare and everybody wants them!

Going for a lie down now......