MV Transportation.

Guest matt

Hi all,

I'm looking for somone to move a GMC CCKW from the docks at Immingham to mid Wales for me,any suggestions? I have one quote for £725 but it's with a firm so there's VAT in the price :x .the truck is a runner so loading should not be a problem.

Matt.

Hi Matt Ive got a number for a haullage firm there very good I think they charge about £250 for anywhere to anywhere, I'll try and get their number to you by 12 tomorrow, possibale tonight.

Hope that helps.

Tyler.

Is this really true Tyler/Matt?, like the sound of that.

Hi Matt.

Sorry I cant be more of a help even though I have a lowloader parked up in Malvern not doing a lot. Unfortunantly from a legal side mine can only be used for personnal use and not for hire and reward,as a operators lience is required, so it looks like you are going to have to use an established haulage firm.

A few things to consider when you are phoning around are that you are going need it to go on a lowloader, so probably a general haulage firm may not have one. It may be worthwhile as that you are more than likely in contact with the docks ask them if they have a regular haulier that goes there with machinery/ tractors or such like for export and they could collect yours as a return load, might reduced the costs a bit. Try to confine you calls to your area or the docks area as once a lorry has to start tramping around the country empty, costs start to go up as, as we all know the fuel prices are one of the biggest killers. Know of a friend who was paying approx £1.50 a mile to get his 432 to his local show.

When I went from Malvern to Beltring and back this year with my 432 it cost me a tank full of fuel and when you think my lorry holds about 400 litres you can start to see where your first quote of £750 comes from. And thats before any other costs as tyre wear, drivers wages and wear and tear on a very expensive vehicle, goods in transit insurance etc etc etc.

sorry to have gone on a bit, but poor old Britains transport industry seems to be the one that takes all the punishment and once you realise the costs and expertise involved, even though £750 is alot of money it isn't really, but i do think you could get it cheaper if can get it as a back load

hope I haven't dismade you too much,but enlightened you a bit

dougy

Hi Matt

If it's a runner have you thought of driving it back on trade plates? If this is not feasible check with the docks, they may have a loading ramp so that it could be put on a flat or curtainsider,this would give you a much

better chance of a reduced price for a return load. There will be an agent

or broker in the area who may be able to help you find a haulier looking for a load.

Best of luck

Degsy

Thanks all for your help! I will let you know how I get on.it is a runner Degsy but I don't fancy risking the drive as it's not restored so the chances of a brakedown would be pretty high me thinks :shock:

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

It's still not here yet,I'm having a few problems with the seller :x the truck was paid for months ago but he's messing me about. if need be I'll have to get over there and sort him out.....

Matt.

Hi Matt, so have you got transport sorted? If not I can give you the details of the transport company I ended up using for the K4, he is based in Oswestrey and charged £250 for each item/load.

Tyler.

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the offer,yes I do have transport sorted but if you don't mind giving me the details of the guy you used I'd be greatful as it's always useful to know!

Now does anyone have a set of brass knuckles and a couple of heavies they can lend me to sort the seller out? :twisted:

Matt.