Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really tidy looking cab. At least taking the floor out shouldn't take too long and, as you have said, because you have only recently installed it will come out fairly easily. What sort of wood did you use ?

There's a relatively inexpensive hardwood that's often used for the beds of lorries and trailers. It has a very high oil content.......em does anyone know the name of the hardwood I'm thinking of ? It's sounds ideal for cab floors. Or, what wood do you recommend as this is a job I've got coming up sometime. Cheers.

Hello.

To be honest i used pine wood from the local timber mill:eek: (Cos i'm really skint) and they cut it to the correct thickness, he said "i've got a trunk that will be perfect for that" It cost about £30 for the whole floor.

I then stained it with BnQ dark oak wood stain.It dries rock hard and its exteior stuff.

Time for more pics. In the shed at manby motorplex where i bought her. I think she looks rock hard!!

At home, and work underway.

in the shed.jpg

when i got her.jpg

small roof.jpg

While you were posting Daz I was googling lists of hardwood 'cos I had exactly the same problem as you!!! Strangely enough it does not appear in any formal lists (like Wiki, or woodworking sites), so I had to guess and got a similar hit. Widley used as an alternative for teak in garden furniture.

That makes sense N.O.S. The Explorer's been parked outside for a year in all weathers under a tarp with no panelwork and subjected to muddy boots when we use it and the floor still looks like new. I was going to do the rear buck floor the same but the price went up so much I can't afford it yet. I think Keruing is Indian/Indonesian???

Found this if it's any help 6x6.

KERUING

Other Names

Gurjun, Dau, Keroeing, Mai Nhang, Mai sat, Keruing bajak, Keruing beras, Kanyin, Yang, Apitong, Hora

Scientific Names

Dipterocarpus spp.

Source

Southeast Asia

Wood Appearance

The heartwood is light red to red brown or purplish red brown. Presence of resin. Possible wind shakes. It has clearly demarcated sapwood. The grain is straight or interlocked and the texture is coarse. Density at 12 % moisture content: 0.79 g/cm3.

Working Properties

The blunting effect is high; peeling is reported to be good and slicing is not recommended or without interest. Variable silica content. Some species are very resinous and tend to clog tools. Occasional tearing on quartersawn. Nailing is good but pre-boring is necessary. Gluing is correct but must be done with care due to the presence of resin. It dries slowly. Moisture content is very variable especially for the most resinous species. Careful stacking and end coating are recommended.

Durability

Keruing is moderately durable to fungi and is durable to dry wood borers; sapwood demarcated (risk limited to sapwood). Several species are regrouped under the name Keruing of the genus Dipterocarpus and the natural durability is variable from one species to another. It is thus recommended to restrict the use without preservative treatment for end-uses under biological hazard class 2.

Uses

Keruing can be used for several applications:

• interior: e.g. flooring, stairs, panelling, veneer, boxes and crates, joinery

• exterior: e.g. exterior joinery, panelling, ship building, bridges, wood frame house, vehicle or container flooring, heavy carpentry

Plywood for light woods. Resin and shakes may restrict end-uses. In Asia, this species is used for sleepers and poles with a treatment.

Got a mould made up. Wrote a bit about them on page 60 post number 594.:readbook: Think it cost me £40 each coupling cash. mould cos £400 think i was well and truly ripped of took the engineering company 12 months to get their finger out. The rubber company still have the mould (hopefully) they do come out a bit smaller about 16th of an inch. i fitted one but the rubber looked a bit strained so i machined out the lip on the aluminium blocks.

The picture shows me ripping the rubber of the aluminium. this coupling looked sound till i put it in a vice a gently bent it over.:eek:

ripped.jpg

Found this if it's any help 6x6.

Gurjun, Dau, Keroeing, Mai Nhang, Mai sat, Keruing bajak, Keruing beras, Kanyin, Yang, Apitong, Hora

Hey, thanks very much daz ! I love trees and this one certainly has some extraordinary qualities.

I have been told you can get pretty high if you smoke Keroeing. Not that I'd ever dream of doing that.

Hello.

To be honest i used pine wood from the local timber mill:

I'm sure that will last years and years just because of the amount of diesel around. There are plenty of wooden boats around with rotten hulls but solid engine rooms due to the preservative qualities of diesel.

Brilliant photographs. Thank you for posting them.

HI

Have managed to find the picture of my meadows 6 dc 630 mk9 diesel actually running!! It's been a long time since i saw it run.

A wonderful picture of a beautiful engine. All I can say is that anyone who wouldn't want that as their screen saver must have something seriously wrong with them.

Time for more pics. In the shed at manby motorplex where i bought her. I think she looks rock hard!!

At home, and work underway.

Well done, I wonder where she had gone. I shared a course with the guy from Manby last month and he told me it had gone to Wales.

My Wife (who was then my girlfriend) bought this Explorer from him some years ago. However she was borrowing the money to buy her, and after a couple of sleepless nights, when she worried about taking a loan, she rang him up and pulled out of the deal. A few years later she had some money saved and another Explorer came up at a price she could buy outright. She bought that one and has been happy ever since. I often wondered what happened to the one she only owned for two days! now I know.

Hi.

I think 2 days ownership would have been more than enough with this one. It needs more work than i ever thought. and most of it major:eek: Still it was all i could afford at the tiime. and we'll get there in the end (hopefully before the end!!!)

All the best Rob.

PS. can't marry my girlfriend at the moment cos the scammell is the wedding car!

Hi.

I think 2 days ownership would have been more than enough with this one. It needs more work than i ever thought. and most of it major:eek: Still it was all i could afford at the tiime. and we'll get there in the end (hopefully before the end!!!)

All the best Rob.

Still, it did only have one careful lady owner.

Hi.

Sounds familiar to me! You're not alone Rob. Slow progress is sometimes the only way. Looks good though. :)

If that's true I'm off outside to file some bits off my cab floor and light up :shake:

That also explains why I got a massive smile on my face the one time I drove Daisy on the road ,must have got the floor hot as she touched 38 :shocked::shocked: on a dual carriageway :-D ! A very happy Christmas to you all ! Lets get some more of these old Scammells on the road this year ! Andy :-D

Hi chaps,:wave:

just got in from er... outside and have just finished getting ready to remove the donkey from the explorer. just the mounts and crossmember to go and i'll pop it out. Decided to take the floor out of the cab for better access :-\

hopefully i can jack the chassis up under the ground ancore frame as it has been welded to the chassis rails (i will also leave the bottom bolt on each extension) I was going to cut it off but it might make removing the engine a bit more simple (rather than jacking up under the chassis rails and supporting between the axle ect)

So some pics of work today. Also some pics of the petrol crankshaft that i hope will fit!

the floor small.jpg

the fan small.jpg

weld small.jpg

crank small.jpg