Richard Hammond on Bloody Omaha: Timewatch

Maverick

Just watched the podcast on the web as we watched Foyles War instead. One thing that struck me was the total failure to mention the lack of DD tanks on Omaha. I seem to recall a History Channel program /series on D-Day where some RN personnel were interviewed and their views on the US captain(s) who launched the Omaha bound DD's too far out to sea aren't repeatable here.

The program other than that omission was, I thought, pretty good. I don't think Richard Hammond detracted from the message of the program and the closing scenes were very evocative.

It would be nice if a similar program was dedicated to the British/Canadian efforts on D-Day as there seems to be a gradual drift into thinking D-Day was virtually a US only affair.

I too couldn't understand omitting to mention the tank catastrophe, incidentally the guy who owns he museum at Port en Bessin and who proved what really happened to the tanks at Omaha has been treated very badly presumably because he has proved all the so called experts wrong.

Whilst close to 6000 may be the truth I didn't see any evidence to support this, thereare no definite figures, they are all guesstimates and it also depends on whether the figures quoted are just for the initial landings or covering a longer period because the beach was still under fire for several days after the sixth.

just watched online, i concur about lack of comment on the loss of the 2 DD regs and the bungle re the bombing of the bluffs and beach, only 1 comment about the lack of deliberate cratering of the beach for cover.

I've got the navigators log for B-17 'Hang The Expense' ( the aircraft I modelled ) from D-Day. They were flying to bomb the beaches as were many other aircraft. For whatever reason ( delayed take off, bad weather, target congestion???? ), the 100th Bomb Group, and other aircraft in their formation, arrived over the beach head but the landings had already started, so they brought the bombs back fearing hitting their own troops.

Steve

Watched it yesterday and liked it. There are some errors in it but nothing is perfect.

Funny thing, two weeks ago I started reading the negro professor's book on Omaha beach "a flawed victory". Will do a book review on it when finished.