I won a bren gun!(at last!)

Went to Chatham militaria fair on sunday and I won the bren gun in the raffle. It's only took 3 years!.

I took yves(user name 777AAA) who is working in london for 3 months. Yves is a really nice fella and he enjoyed himself. I think he was a bit puzzled by the boy's east end humour :roll: :whistle:

This is Yves with the bren I won.

width=640 height=480http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee240/fleet19rambo/Picture016.jpg[/img]

Yves on the left, alan in the middle trying to explain to bing how a digital camera works.

width=640 height=480http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee240/fleet19rambo/Picture011.jpg[/img]

This is a catering wagon that was in "good night mr tom", the girls done a blinding cup of tea.

width=640 height=480http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee240/fleet19rambo/Picture018.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee240/fleet19rambo/Picture010.jpg[/img]

Have you ever fired a bren for real? I remember when I was about fifteen, I was at summer camp in the ATC when after our five rounds on the 303's we were given a demonstration with a bren gun. The RAF sargeant first showed us single round fire, although you might be forgiven for thinking it was set to automatic. Followed by automatic fire, he used a full clip in about three seconds. This was followed by "Any volunteers to have a go?"

Nobody, but nobody had the balls to have a go. I'm up for that. I could only have been about five feet tall, the sargeant sat me on what he described as a firing stool. Looked more like a milking stool to me, he loaded the clip, I pointed the gun at the target, released the safety catch, and on the command of: FIRE I pulled the trigger. The cartridge emptied in about two seconds, the left hand side of the target was in complete shreds, and I lay on my back, looking skywards with the recoil. To be fair, there is very little recoil, but when you are fifteen and five foot nothing weighing about seven stone, it doesn't take a lot to blow you over. There was howls of laughter and the sargeant helped me to my feet.

To this day I have always had the greatest respect for the bren gun.

Have you ever fired a bren for real? I remember when I was about fifteen, I was at summer camp in the ATC when after our five rounds on the 303's we were given a demonstration with a bren gun. The RAF sargeant first showed us single round fire, although you might be forgiven for thinking it was set to automatic. Followed by automatic fire, he used a full clip in about three seconds. This was followed by "Any volunteers to have a go?"

Nobody, but nobody had the balls to have a go. I'm up for that. I could only have been about five feet tall, the sargeant sat me on what he described as a firing stool. Looked more like a milking stool to me, he loaded the clip, I pointed the gun at the target, released the safety catch, and on the command of: FIRE I pulled the trigger. The cartridge emptied in about two seconds, the left hand side of the target was in complete shreds, and I lay on my back, looking skywards with the recoil. To be fair, there is very little recoil, but when you are fifteen and five foot nothing weighing about seven stone, it doesn't take a lot to blow you over. There was howls of laughter and the sargeant helped me to my feet.

Yes along with a sten, .303, LMG great fun to be had

Similar experience.Put it onto automatic, aim at the target at the other end of the range, pressed the trigger, didnt get a single shot in the target. Managed to hit targets either side and felt like I had been kicked in the shoulder repeatedly!

Surprised Baz hasn't been in here yet. When we became buddies immediately after our Omagh tour in 1976, he told me how he'd been inflicted with a section LMG and had used his initiative to load ALL his trace rounds into the first mags out of the box. His theory was that he'd hosepipe the target using pure trace the target was dead, then continue to hosepipe through the remaining mags of ball until they were all gone.

Then if anybody queried whether the mags had been loaded four ball one trace in accordance with the Geneva Convention, he'd challenge them to prove they weren't.

If I remember, I am sure I have an LMG team trophy from the 15/19H Regimental SAM about 1979: tonight I might just take a picture if I can find it.

Nice one, mate;

Was there myself, trying to sell a bit of kit, not needed any ,more;................... :roll:

Glad you found the Naffi wagon,..............and the BEST bread pudding this side of ..anywhere. :-)

The NAAFI wagon belongs to a mate of mine.

Just heard from Felix, (the guy who runs Chatham and Tonbridge militaria events)

Tonbridge event is CANCELLED from now on.

Shame, although I can understand why,...........lack of traders and buyers......

Andy

From his website...

Unfortunately, due to apparent apathy in the marketplace I have decided to cancel the new series of fairs at Tonbridge with immediate effect. Chatham is NOT affected and we have a full programme for 2008, as usual.

I did wonder why he started one there ??

well the hall it was held in was certainly warmer and lighter than Chatham....... :-D

Shame, really; I felt it was too close to Chatham,....maybe's if held on 4th sun so's there was 2 weeks between might have been better. :dunno:

I must admit, I thought it was a bad idea, but a good effort on felix's part. I know what you mean about chatham though, it's colder inside the shed than outside!.

totally agree there,....................that sunday I was right at the back,............didn't really ever get light, :whistle: