Driving historic military vehicles

l have kept my HGV licence and now near my seventy sixth year and renew is ever year because of been type two diabetic l have a ferret mk 1 which  does weigh over three and a half tons which is one of the reasons for keeping my HGV.LIKE some on here my joints do not work as well as they did so l thought time to drop the HGV part of my licence and keep just the car talked to the DVLA to discuss this to be told because of of it' weight l can not drive the FERRET on my car licence bearing in mind l have just had the medical and found to be fit on all accounts. Has any one else had this mentioned about  having this or is it a case of now selling the FERRET which to be honest l do not use much only covering one hundred plus miles in eighteen years of owning it YOUR COMENTS WELCOME

WALLY

Its not a goods vehicle so an HGV Licence is not required.   Even if you had registered it as an HGV a person of your age can drive a vehicle up to 7 1/2 ton on a car licence.

Edited by REME 245
  • Like 1

What year of manufacture is your Ferret on the V5 ? if it is made After 1960 then you will still need a 7.5t C1 entitlement  to drive it as its Over the Maximum weight of vehicle you can drive on a car licence which is 3.5 Ton, ...if it is pre 1960 manufacture possibly it may come under the Historic Commercial vehicle category which are exemept from HGV licence and your ok with a car licence, but its not really a goods carrying vehicle.

Edited by Nick Johns

2 hours ago, REME 245 said:

Its not a goods vehicle so an HGV Licence is not required.   Even if you had registered it as an HGV a person of your age can drive a vehicle up to 7 1/2 ton on a car licence.

Not quite correct: To drive any vehicle over 3.5 tons Max Authorised Mass you need a C1 entitlement which is actually an HGV licence. It was given automatically to anybody who passed their test before 1997 but it is necessary to reapply for it at age 70     (I think this always requires a medical examination but I have a few years to go yet so haven’t looked into that part very closely).

Edited by mtskull

the only record of its history is from 1965 from the tank museum l have held a class one from 1969 secondly l like the fact that l under take all the requirements medical and it's backed up l wonder how many on the road today over seventy have been honest about there  driving to meet the standard required to be on the road

NICK took your advice they seem as puzzled on this as l am some treating as a goods vehicle which it is not because it is registered 1965 weight wise average  just a touch under three and a half imperial tons it is  classed   as  scout car liaison note the word car it was never built to carry goods any more than a mini . l have joined their group but for now will retain my HGV licence just to be safe thanks for pointing me in that direction

WALLY

On 8/1/2024 at 4:36 PM, Nick Johns said:

it is pre 1960 manufacture  would it not come under the Historic Commercial vehicle category which are exemept from HGV licence and your ok with a car licence.

Unless the rules have changed recently that is indeed the case.

Interestingly buses/coaches have only to be at least 30 years old, but then you are restricted to carrying a max of 8 non-fare-paying passengers.