Sherman Firefly engines ?

I've got a question on the Sherman Firefly engines . Did they both have the Chrysler A57 multibank and GM 6046 diesel engines in them or just one of those types ? 

I think because of fuel supply worries only multibank and radial petrol engines were used in the Firefly. Diesel engined Shermans I think mainly were supplied to Russia. 

I know that the 2 Sherman tanks in Canada that survived WW2 from D Day to the end of May 1945 were Sherman M4A2s with the GM 6046 engine in them .They were both restored and now sit as monuments .One was called Holy Roller from The 1st Hussars and the other called Bomb from The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment . I thought most of the Shermans used by the British and Canadians were The Sherman M4A4 . There's one at Base Borden that's an M4A2 sitting as a monument . Make's me wonder now which regiment had what engine in the Sherman .

Fireflys were only converted from Sherman I (M4) and Sherman V (M4A4). This was mainly due to the ammunition stowage requirements not suiting the Sherman III (M4A2) as the generators and clutch housings on the 6046 protrude into the fighting compartment slightly.

British and Commonwealth armies used large numbers of Sherman II, 5041 being delivered compared to only 1990 to the Soviets. The later M4A2 (76) was different, the Soviets receiving 2073 whereas the British Army only got 5.

Sherman V was our most common model, 7167 being delivered, almost the whole production run (7499).

Sherman III was used in dedicated units but when Firefly was introduced, this did lead to having two fuel types in use in each troop.

• Like 1
  • Up 1