Dodge WC56 Command car. Unusual Information Request.

Hi Guys! OK, this might sound mundane. But is actually a significant safety question!

Does anyone know / have photo's etc. Of Dodge command cars Towing Hook mounting bolts? I ask as I have a 1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer. Which comes with safety chains & Hooks. I have never seen a command car fitted with two lower 'Loop' mounting bolts. To accept the hooks on the Trailer chains!

Therefore, when your towing a loaded trailer to a show. Obviously safety is one of the paramount considerations to be borne in mind!

If this was the case, I was thinking of fitting a pair of jeep eyebolts to my Command car for this reason.

I await your feedback gentlemen!

Kind regards to all contributing Members! 👍

I don't think CC's had them.

But as you stated installing your own would be a wise thing to do. Jeep bolts might be a bit too lightweight though. Maybe weld some form modern bolts or eyes?

Years ago I was nearly run over by a runaway horse trailer that uncoupled itself from a car in a corner.

(No, there was no horse in it at the time).

• Like 1

I have absolutely no knowledge of these vehicles but later trucks such as CUCV used holes in plates at the tow hitch to hook the chains into.  It could be a backing plate folded at the bottom to give two holes on the flat. If that makes any sense...

Or, two loops welded onto the bottom of the backing plate, I think a MUTT I once had used that.

Edited by Mk3iain
A bit more..

48 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

I have absolutely no knowledge of these vehicles but later trucks such as CUCV used holes in plates at the tow hitch to hook the chains into.  It could be a backing plate folded at the bottom to give two holes on the flat. If that makes any sense...

Or, two loops welded onto the bottom of the backing plate, I think a MUTT I once had used that.

Yes a bit like a Land rover defender plate as standard. I would hope to avoid that, & get some eyebolts as Enigma has suggested.

Thanks for your input though.

Mike.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I don't think CC's had them.

But as you stated installing your own would be a wise thing to do. Jeep bolts might be a bit too lightweight though. Maybe weld some form modern bolts or eyes?

Years ago I was nearly run over by a runaway horse trailer that uncoupled itself from a car in a corner.

(No, there was no horse in it at the time).

I agree, I don't think CC's had them either? Do you know if weapons carrier's did?

Or did Jimmy's have eyebolts, as they did also Tow Ben Hur trailers. If that was the case, I would need to source a couple of those I Guess?

Regarding the Horsebox incident. I think that is one of the reasons it is law now on modern trailers. To have a brake away cable coupled to the handbrake system. It makes perfect sense when you think about it!.....

Looked on the web. No pics of the tow hitch on a jimmy close up. found a couple of video's of Jimmy's being restored. & From what i observed the tow hitch is larger & swivels. But NO sign of any eyebolts for trailer chains?...

Which opens another question: What ww2 vehicles that towed a Ben Hur 1 Ton Trailer's. Actually DID have eyebolts for the Hitch?...... Perplexing, or what?...😣

Edited by ferretfixer
spelling correction

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 12:23 PM, ferretfixer said:

Regarding the Horsebox incident. I think that is one of the reasons it is law now on modern trailers. To have a brake away cable coupled to the handbrake system. It makes perfect sense when you think about it!.....

Always assuming it's not a 750kg un-braked trailer (especially an over-loaded one, as many are) .. would still be painful !

I still can't get my head around the fact that in the UK it's perfectly legal to construct/sell un-braked tandem axle trailers that are rated at 750kg gross.

Of course nobody would dream of loading more than the specified payload (usually less than half-a-ton) onto a tandem .. would they ?

Edited by norseman 02

My WC57 certainly never had attachments for safety chains. As these models were intended for field command use by officers why would they want to tow a 1 ton trailer .. unless it was for officers' mess goodies !

1 minute ago, norseman 02 said:

My WC57 certainly never had attachments for safety chains. As these models were intended for field command use by officers why would they want to tow a 1 ton trailer .. unless it was for officers' mess goodies !

They were also used as reconasance vehicles. Equipment towed in trailer. left at 2nd echalon whilst out on a mission / task.

Also a VERY basic question that arises from your own question is:  Why would they want to tow a 1 Ton Trailer?  My reply would be: why would the vehicles therfore be fitted with a tow hook assembly?.......😁

Hello Mike, I had thought about these from the off. But i have since had information.

That GMC trucks that also Towed 1 Ton Ben Hur Trailers. Had a Pair of holes in their rear crossmember for the Aux chains.  When the weather is a bit better, I will roll back my Collapsable garage. & check if this was also the case for dodges?  It is interesting, that this question has never been raised before?.....

My findings will obviously be posted on here. For the benifit of others, who may have been thinking along similar lines. Towards towing a trailer.

50 minutes ago, ferretfixer said:

Also a VERY basic question that arises from your own question is:  Why would they want to tow a 1 Ton Trailer?  My reply would be: why would the vehicles therfore be fitted with a tow hook assembly?.......😁

Standard fitment I guess, recovery purposes ?

This is one of those things you just have to know.  I'm not sure where I learned it, either online or maybe from the Master Parts List ( which I would thoroughly suggest getting if you have a WW2 Dodge )

Early 3/4 ton Command Cars came with four bolts, later ones came with two bolts and two eye bolts, apparently there was a retro fit MWO for the early ones.  Eye bolts for tow chains were just thought to be too useful not to have.  Carryalls were the same, in fact I believe early WC 53s didn't even have a tow hook fitted when they left the factory but the chassis were drilled for it.  

Why would you want to tow a Ben Hur with a Command Car or a Carryall?  Well any 3/4 ton Command Car or Carryall could be fitted with a full radio set - the WC 58 had one pre-fitted, and one of the most common, and most useful, Ben Hur variants was the  K-53 Signal Corps Generator trailer - handy for all sorts of radio use, or to keep the lights on in the officers quarters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gen.H.S.SaylerchiefordnanceofficerEtousacongratulatesCol.B.MasikinchargeofassemblyPlantatCherbourg.T-ndwasassembledatCherbourgfrompartsshippeddirectlyfromtheUSA.jpg.4b1a17f49b8fbfd397b011c94512612e.jpg

I don't know whether this photo is of any interest.  Photo courtesy Flickr.  Captioned:  Gen. H. S. Sayler, chief ordnance officer, Etousa, congratulates Col. B. Masik, in charge of assembly Plant at Cherbourg. The vehicle in background was assembled at Cherbourg from parts shipped directly from the USA troops landed at 0300 hours on a monday and completed first vehicle at 1200 hours the next day. 25/07/44